Today I bring you a delicious plant based dinner recipe that features autumn produce: Apple Lentil Stuffed Butternut Squash! I am not usually a fan of fruit in savory meals, but this recipe is an exception! I love how the flavors of the apples compliment the sweetness of the butternut squash. Winter squash is one of my favorite vegetables, so I love trying new recipes with them! My all-time favorite winter squash recipe is my Creamy Stuffed Acorn Squash. I am biased towards loving this recipe, because acorn squash is my favorite squash. However I will say butternut squash is on the come up.
If you follow me on Instagram, then you've seen how recently I have been trying as many winter squash varieties as possible. I honestly just love trying all different kinds of foods (vegan of course). This love is what sparked my #weirdfruitwednesday 's on Instagram too. If you are looking for more recipes featuring winter squash, I'll link some more of my whole foods plant based recipes that include winter squash below:
How to make healthy vegan dinners:
Making healthy meals throughout the week can be a struggle. It's hard to set aside time to make healthy dinners when we are so busy throughout the week. However, recipes like this lentil stuffed butternut squash are perfect, because they are easy to make, and you can do other things while they cook. I am a huge multitasking, so I love when I am able to do this. This apple lentil stuffed butternut squash is nutrient rich and simple to make, making it the perfect healthy weeknight dinner recipe!
Ingredients for this Apple Lentil Stuffed Butternut Squash:
- Butternut squash
- Vegetable broth
- Italian seasoning
- Coconut Aminos
- Fennel seed
Apple Lentil Stuffed Butternut Squash
- Start by preheating your oven to 400.
- Cut the butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Use 1 teaspoon of coconut aminos and coat the squash flesh with it. Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Boil the lentils while the squash is cooking. In a pan sauté the diced onions and minced garlic in the vegetable broth. Once soft add the chopped apples and remaining ingredients. Strain the lentils and add to the pan.
- Remove the butternut squash from the oven and scoop the apple lentil mixture into the squash. Place back in the oven and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and enjoy!