This Healthy Vegan Eggnog Cheesecake recipe is the ultimate dessert for the holiday season! This rich and decadent vegan cheesecake recipe is made with all whole foods plant-based ingredients. It's easy to make, and so delicious that nobody would even be able to tell it's vegan or healthy!
Traditional eggnog was always my favorite treat during the holiday season growing up. I love the rich and creamy texture and the unique flavor. When I went vegan that was one of the few foods I truly missed. That is until I discovered how easy it is to make vegan eggnog (make sure to check out my Best Vegan Eggnog). After seeing how easy it was I was inspired to make more vegan eggnog treats!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe features several affiliate links, meaning I will earn a small commission if you purchase through these links.
- Ingredients For This Vegan Eggnog Cheesecake:
- How To Make This Vegan Eggnog Cheesecake:
- Vegan Eggnog Cheesecake Variations:
- What You Will Need To Make This Gluten-Free Eggnog Cheesecake Recipe:
- Top Tip:
- Frequently Asked Questions:
- Related Vegan Eggnog Recipes:
- Healthy Vegan Eggnog Cheesecake
- More Healthy Desserts For Holiday Parties:
Ingredients For This Vegan Eggnog Cheesecake:
I love this vegan cheesecake recipe because it uses minimal ingredients that you can pick up at your local grocery store.
Gluten-Free Crust Ingredients:
- Almond Flour - Almond flour is my favorite flour to use for making gluten-free crusts. It bakes perfectly and does not have the bitter taste that is common in traditional flour crust recipes. My only issue with almond flour is it can be quite pricey. Therefore I always try to buy it in bulk online.
- Cassava Flour - Cassava Flour is another one of my favorite gluten-free flours to use for crusts. It doesn't rise much, which makes it great for this recipe. It holds the ingredients together and doesn't dry out.
- Maple Syrup - Maple syrup is one of the best natural sweeteners out there. It's sweet and doesn't have an overwhelming flavor. Therefore it is great for recipes like this Vegan Eggnog Cheesecake because it doesn't distract from the eggnog flavor.
- Rum Extract - In my opinion, the most important ingredient to achieve the proper eggnog flavor is rum extract. Whenever I taste rum extract I instantly think of eggnog. It has a strong flavor, so a little goes a long way, but it is absolutely necessary.
- Nutmeg - Another important ingredient to achieving the real eggnog flavor is nutmeg. Many recipes for eggnog call for a variety of spices, but in my opinion nutmeg is all you need. Most of the flavor will come from the rum extract, so there is no need for excessive spices.
- Raw Cashew Butter - I love using nut butter for my oil-free cheesecake crusts. It holds all the ingredients together and adds moistness. By using an oil-free base, you are adding more fiber and nutrients to the recipe. Make sure to use raw cashew butter and not roasted cashew butter - they have very different tastes. I always get my raw cashew butter from Wilderness Poets in bulk. It's organic, affordable, and tastes incredible. As always my code: "NATURALVEGAN" gets you $10 off your purchase.
Cashew Cheesecake Filling:
- Raw Cashews - The base of this delicious dessert is mostly made up of soaked raw cashews. They're perfect for creating a fluffy and creamy cheesecake base. Make sure to use raw cashews and not roasted, ones because roasted ones will give you a different flavor and texture. I always get my cashews in bulk from Wilderness Poets. The code: "NATURALVEGAN" gets you $10 off your order!
- Unsweetened Vegan Yogurt - The other main ingredient for this vegan cheesecake filling is vegan yogurt. This is my favorite because the yogurt adds the perfect tanginess and creaminess that traditional cream cheese and sour cream do. I always recommend using a coconut-based yogurt for vegan desserts, because the flavor is milder and the texture is creamier. Some of my favorite brands to use are CocoJune, Harmless Harvest, and the Sprouts generic brand.
- Maple Syrup - Again, I love using maple syrup as a natural sweetener. It's perfect for this cheese cake filling because it adds sweetness without taking away from the eggnog flavor.
- Cornstarch - Cornstarch is what is used to hold the filling together. It gives the cheesecake the perfect firm filling without taking away any of the creaminess.
- Lemons - Even though vegan yogurt adds tartness, I like to add a little lemon juice to vegan cheesecakes to achieve the proper sour cream flavor that is present in traditional cheesecake recipes.
- Vanilla Extract - Although vanilla is not a dominant flavor in eggnog, I like to add a little bit to balance out all the flavors.
- Rum Extract - Again, rum extract is what gives eggnog the perfect eggnog flavor. A little goes a long way in this filling.
- Nutmeg - I love adding nutmeg to the crust, filling, and on top. If you don't like the taste of nutmeg, you can use cinnamon, however, this will change the flavor slightly.
- Plant-Based Whipped Topping - Any plant-based whipped cream will work. You can either use homemade, or you can buy pre-made. I like using the plant-based toppings you find in the freezer sections. However, they are not necessarily the healthiest. This ingredient is optional and can be switched up based on your preference.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How To Make This Vegan Eggnog Cheesecake:
Making vegan cheesecake at home can be a bit intimidating. However, I can assure you that this Vegan Eggnog Cheesecake will be the best cheesecake you'll make this holiday season.
1. Begin by adding the raw cashews to a medium bowl and covering them with water. Place in the fridge to soak overnight. Once the cashews have soaked and are soft. Strain them and set them aside. Preheat the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
2. Make the crust first by combining all the crust ingredients together in a large bowl with an electric mixer or stand mixer. Mix on medium speed until a smooth dough has formed. Press the crust mixture into a greased cheesecake pan. Press on the bottom and up the sides of the springform pan. Poke holes in the crust with a fork and place in the oven to bake for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Make the cashew cheesecake filling by combining all the filling ingredients together in the blender and blending until silky smooth. I blended on high for a full minute (there should be no bumps of cashews). Pour the cheesecake filling into the prepared crust. Smooth the top out, place it back in the oven, and bake cheesecake for 35-40 (or until the middle does not jiggle.
4. Remove the cheesecake from the oven and circle a knife between the sides and the crust around the whole cheesecake to make sure the cheesecake is not stuck to the side. Allow chilling at room temperature on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes. After 10-15 minutes have passed allow to cool fully in the refrigerator (I like to chill mine overnight).
5. Once ready to serve, add the vegan whipped cream to the top of the cheesecake and a sprinkle of nutmeg and serve immediately. Enjoy!
There are a handful of healthy substitutions that can be made to this eggnog cheesecake recipe if needed. Here are some common ones.
- Vegan Cream Cheese - You can replace vegan yogurt with vegan cream cheese. This will give you that classic cheesecake flavor, however, it is quite expensive. I recommend using an oil-free vegan cream cheese like the Kite Hill classic cream cheese.
- Vegan Butter - You can use vegan unsalted butter in place of cashew butter. This won't be as healthy, but it will work.
- Whipped Cream - You can make your own whipped cream using vegan heavy whipping cream. To do this whisk the heavy cream with a little bit of powdered sugar or erythritol until stiff peaks form.
Vegan Eggnog Cheesecake Variations:
If you're looking for ways to spice up this cheesecake recipe (literally) here are some of my favorite things to do.
- Gingersnap Cookie Crust - You can give the graham cracker crust a twist by replacing half the amount of maple syrup with molasses and adding a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. This complements the eggnog flavor adds delicious warm spices and incorporates the classic holiday flavor of gingersnap cookies into this holiday dessert.
- Caramel Eggnog - Drizzle some of my 2-Ingredient Vegan Caramel sauce on top of this cheesecake for extra flavor and sweetness.
- High-Protein - If you love adding a bit of protein to everything you make, you can replace the coconut yogurt with silken tofu for an added protein boost.
- Cookie Crumble - Break up some of my Vegan Eggnog Cookies and sprinkle them on top for the perfect cookie crumble.
What You Will Need To Make This Gluten-Free Eggnog Cheesecake Recipe:
There are a couple of key pieces of equipment you will need to make this vegan eggnog cheesecake. Here's what I recommend using.
- Mixing Bowls - You will need a medium bowl to soak the cashews in and a large bowl to mix the crust in.
- Electric Mixer - You can use either a handheld mixer or a stand mixer to mix the gluten-free crust.
- Blender/Food Processor - I recommend using a high-speed blender, however, you will be able to get away with using a food processor if needed.
- Round Springform Pan - I recommend using a 9-inch round springform pan.
- Wire Rack - You will need a cooling rack to chill the cheesecake on before refrigerating.
This is the best dessert for this time of year because it looks like you put a ton of effort into it, but in reality, it's super easy to make and looks pretty. If you ended up having a crack in your cheesecake, do not worry about it. You can simply plop the whipped cream on top and nobody will even know!
Frequently Asked Questions:
If you struggle with your homemade cheesecakes cracking, there are a couple of things you can do to prevent this from happening. The first thing you can do is the water bath method. This method requires placing the springform pan on a sheet pan full of water and baking. Personally, I find this method to be too much work. Alternatively, you could put an oven-safe small bowl full of hot water in the oven to create steam. After baking it's important to make sure the sides are stuck to the pan and it is not chilled too rapidly. If you follow these steps your cheesecake should not split.
Related Vegan Eggnog Recipes:
If you love the flavor of eggnog be sure to check out some of the other delicious eggnog recipes on my website!
Healthy Vegan Eggnog Cheesecake
For The Gluten-Free Crust:
For The Eggnog Cheesecake Filling:
For The Whipped Topping:
- 1 ½ containers vegan whipped topping
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Begin by adding the raw cashews to a medium bowl and covering them with water. Place in the fridge to soak overnight. Once the cashews have soaked and are soft. Strain them and set them aside. Preheat the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Once the cashews have soaked and are soft. Strain them and set them aside. Preheat the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Make the crust first by combining all the crust ingredients together in a large bowl with an electric mixer or stand mixer. Mix on medium speed until a smooth dough has formed. Press the crust mixture into a greased cheesecake pan. Press on the bottom and up the sides of the springform pan. Poke holes in the crust with a fork and place in the oven to bake for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Make the cashew cheesecake filling by combining all the filling ingredients together in the blender and blending until silky smooth. I blended on high for a full minute (there should be no bumps of cashews).
- Pour the cheesecake filling into the prepared crust. Smooth the top out, place it back in the oven, and bake cheesecake for 35-40 (or until the middle does not jiggle.
- Remove the cheesecake from the oven and circle a knife between the sides and the crust around the whole cheesecake to make sure the cheesecake is not stuck to the side. Allow chilling at room temperature on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes. After 10-15 minutes have passed allow to cool fully in the refrigerator (I like to chill mine overnight).
- Once ready to serve, add the vegan whipped cream to the top of the cheesecake and a sprinkle of nutmeg and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Make sure to follow the whipped topping directions for defrosting.
More Healthy Desserts For Holiday Parties:
Need another great recipe for your next holiday party? Check out some of the other delicious recipes on my website!