This Healthy Homemade Vegan Eggnog recipe has all the traditional eggnog flavors you love and it's dairy-free and made with wholesome and simple ingredients. It's easy to make and delicious which makes this creamy eggnog the perfect treat for the holiday season.
Eggnog has always been my favorite flavor of the holiday season. Ever since I was a kid I could not wait until they'd put the eggnog out on the shelves. It's one of the few flavors I miss being vegan, well that is up until now! This homemade eggnog has quickly become a staple for me during the holidays! It's guaranteed to be a hit with all!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe features several affiliate links, meaning I will earn a small commission if you purchase through these links.
- Ingredients For The Best Vegan Eggnog:
- How To Make The Best Homemade Vegan Eggnog Recipe:
- Vegan Eggnog Variations:
- What You Will Need To Make This Delicious Vegan Eggnog:
- How To Store This Homemade Vegan Eggnog Recipe:
- Top Tip:
- Frequently Asked Questions:
- Related Drinks For Holiday Parties:
- Best Creamy Homemade Vegan Eggnog
- More Vegan Eggnog Recipes:
Ingredients For The Best Vegan Eggnog:
This is the best vegan eggnog recipe because it uses clean and simple ingredients and only takes about 5 minutes to make.
- Wilderness Poets SPiN - This is one of my recent favorite products! I absolutely love the SPiN line from Wilderness Poets. It's the easiest way to make homemade nut milks and creamy drinks like this vegan eggnog! I love using this rather than pre-made plant-based milk such as almond milk or oat milk because you can adjust how creamy you want it. Since traditional eggnog is made with heavy cream, you can add extra SPiN to achieve the perfect vegan heavy cream substitute. I used the cashew milk base which is made from 100% raw cashews! If you're interested in trying SPiN out, my code: "NATURALVEGAN" gets you $10 off your purchase!
- Water - The only other ingredient needed to turn SPiN into creamy vegan milk is water! The amount of water is totally up to you! If you're looking to make lower-calorie nut milk add more water, and to make thicker creamier nut milk add less. I love how customizable it is.
- Pure Maple Syrup - Any liquid natural sweetener will work perfectly for this recipe. I went with maple syrup because it affects the color the least, and the maple flavor compliments the eggnog very nicely.
- Nutmeg - No homemade eggnog recipe would be complete without nutmeg. Nutmeg is the most dominant flavor in eggnog. However a little goes a long way when it comes to this spice.
- Annatto Powder - I've been working on this recipe for a very long time. I've done hours of research trying to figure out how to craft a homemade vegan eggnog that tastes just like the store-bought eggnog. I've tried other bloggers' recipes, and the one ingredient that I found missing in every homemade recipe, yet was an ingredient in every store-bought eggnog was Annatto. I don't think that this ingredient is absolutely necessary, but I do think it helps achieve that traditional eggnog flavor.
- Pure Rum Extract - This is easily the most important ingredient in this recipe. I find this to be the one ingredient that is always missing in homemade eggnog recipes, and I don't understand why! It adds authentic eggnog flavor, and it is available at every grocery store. I try to avoid the ones that contain "natural flavors" and look for only the purest extracts.
- Vanilla Bean Powder - You can get away with using pure vanilla extract. However, I think that vanilla bean powder is the way to go. It's full of flavor without any of the alcohol flavor that is typically in vanilla extract.
- Cinnamon Sticks and Star Anise (optional) - Most homemade eggnog recipes call for cinnamon. However, I don't find cinnamon or any warm spices for that matter to be a dominant flavor in traditional eggnog. Therefore I don't add any to the base, and only add some as a garnish.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How To Make The Best Homemade Vegan Eggnog Recipe:
Making this homemade vegan eggnog recipe is incredibly easy and requires minimal steps.
To make this creamy vegan eggnog simply combine all the ingredients together in a blender and blend on high until a silky smooth creamy texture has been achieved. I recommend adding the SPiN to the blender first and then adding the remaining ingredients. This helps ensure that it blends with the rest of the ingredients and doesn't stick to the sides of the blender.
Serve immediately with the garnishes and a sprinkle of nutmeg, or place in the fridge to chill. Since this recipe does not contain any fillers or preservatives, it will separate in the fridge. However, if you give it a quick shake or blend it again should go back to normal.
Hint: Use chilled water to ensure the eggnog comes out nice and cold.
There are a handful of substitutions that can be made to this creamy vegan eggnog recipe if needed. Here are some of the common ones.
- SPiN - Wilderness Poets offers a variety of nut milk concentrates using a variety of nuts. Any of them will work great for this recipe.
- Sweetener - You can use any natural sweetener. Some of my other favorite liquid natural sweeteners include date syrup, Yacon Syrup, and Monk Fruit. You can also use more refined sweeteners like agave syrup or brown sugar, or you can use whole food like medjool dates (just make sure it's a soft one).
- Turmeric - If you can't get your hands on annatto, you can use a pinch of turmeric instead. However, I think the flavor is too strong, so I would just leave it out because the color is not that important.
Vegan Eggnog Variations:
There are a couple of ways you can mix up this traditional holiday drink. Here are some fun variations I love to try!
- Chocolate Eggnog - You can use the chocolate SPiN for a fun chocolatey twist.
- Boozy Version - Add a little bit of your favorite spiced rum to turn this into a boozy vegan eggnog cocktail.
- Extra Creamy - If you love traditional eggnog with lots of heavy cream, you can half the water and replace the other half with coconut cream for a super creamy homemade vegan eggnog recipe.
What You Will Need To Make This Delicious Vegan Eggnog:
This dairy-free eggnog recipe is great because all you need to make it is a blender. Any blender will work just fine. If you have a high-speed blender I recommend using that because it will turn it into the perfect frothy and creamy eggnog.
How To Store This Homemade Vegan Eggnog Recipe:
The best part of this simple recipe is that it is simple to store. I recommend storing this vegan eggnog in an airtight container such as a mason jar for best results. It can be stored in the fridge for a full week.
Since this homemade vegan eggnog is not full of fillers and processed ingredients like regular eggnog, it will separate after some time. If you are keeping it out for a holiday party just give it a few stirs every so often to keep it smooth and creamy.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Rum extract is exactly what it sounds like...rum extract! It is the extractives of rum. Therefore it is a concentration of flavor without the buzz!
Related Drinks For Holiday Parties:
Looking for more delicious drinks to serve at your holiday get-together? Make sure to check out some of the delicious mocktails on my website!
If you try this Creamy Homemade Vegan Eggnog recipe, I’d really love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. I’d also really appreciate a recipe card rating! Make sure to share it on social media and tag @theallnaturalvegan to be featured! Thank you for supporting The All Natural Vegan!
Best Creamy Homemade Vegan Eggnog
- 1 blender
- Combine all the ingredients together in a blender and blend on high until a silky smooth creamy texture has been achieved
- Serve in a glass garnished with a cinnamon stick, star anise, and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
More Vegan Eggnog Recipes:
If you're a fellow eggnog lover like myself make sure to check out some of my other delicious eggnog recipes!