Today I bring you a delicious fall side dish recipe that is perfect for the Holiday's! This cheesy spaghetti squash casserole has a comforting taste, and is secretly loaded with veggies! I love making recipes like this cheesy squash casserole throughout the Holiday's because it is so easy to fall into the mindset of "oh well, it's the Holidays!". While yes, we should be present and enjoy the food, it doesn't hurt to eat your veggies! If you're determined to have a healthy Holiday season, I've got all kinds of healthy vegan Holiday recipes and treats up on my blog. Here are some of my favorites:
- Healthy Vegan Pecan Pie
- Samoa Truffles
- Cranberry Orange Bread
- Vegan Thumbprint Cookies
- Creamy Stuffed Acorn Squash
How to make the best cheese sauce for vegan squash casserole:
When it comes to homemade vegan cheese sauces, I've tried it all. Some come out too watery, some taste like coconut, and others are just simply too complicated! Luckily this Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Casserole recipe is super easy to make, coconut-free, and uses ingredients you probably already have laying around! The key to making the best cheese sauce is actually to use whole foods plant based ingredients! For the longest time I always made vegan cheese sauces using coconut milk and tapioca starch. While I do love using these ingredients for lots of recipes, making vegan cheese sauce is much simpler. Get the potatoes and carrots out and let's get cooking!
Do I need a Vitamix for this vegan spaghetti squash casserole?
You guys know that I can not get enough of my Vitamix. Honestly, I use it everyday (probably like 3 times a day). If you love cooking, and want to get more into whole foods plant based cooking, I definitely recommend investing in one. It is a big upfront cost, but I promise it'll pay off in the long run. However if you have a standard blender, you can still make make this vegan squash casserole recipe! It may not come out as silky smooth, but it'll still be delicious!
Why make this Vegan squash casserole recipe:
This cheesy spaghetti squash casserole isn't just cheesy and delicious, but also healthy and nutrient dense! I love creating nutrient dense recipes that are so good you'd have no idea that they're healthy! Once of my favorite tips for making whole foods plant based recipes is to take it back to the basics! Yes, you read that right. Sometimes the simpler a recipe is, the better. For example in this vegan squash casserole I used ingredients like potatoes and carrots to make the cheese sauce, and it turned out stellar! When you opt for these ingredients the recipe not only becomes healthier, but also easier to make!
Ingredients for this Vegan Spaghetti Squash Casserole:
- Spaghetti squash
- Golden potatoes
- Nutritional yeast
- Miso paste
Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 ½ cups broccoli florets
- 1 15oz can chickpeas
- 3 golden potatoes
- 2 carrots
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoon miso paste
- Begin by cutting your spaghetti squash in half and scooping out the seeds. Place in the oven at 400 for 40 minutes. I suggest doing this ahead of time so that you can make this casserole recipe quickly.
- Steam the potatoes and carrots until soft. While the potatoes and carrots are steaming, dice the onion, and mince the garlic. Add to a baking sheet with the broccoli florets and top coconut aminos. Place in the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- Use a fork to scrape out the inside of the spaghetti squash when done. Set aside.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, nutritional yeast, and miso paste to a blender and blend on high. Pour into the casserole dish and add the strained chickpeas, spaghetti squash insides, onions, garlic, and broccoli. Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, serve, and enjoy!