Plant based vs. vegan chocolate chip cookies?
Okay, real talk: the chocolate chip cookie may be one of the best culinary creations of all time, I mean at least a top 5! Cookies hold a special place in my heart, they’re honestly like the most perfect dessert ever! A traditional chocolate chip cookie is essentially just sugar, butter, and chocolate. Yes, this does make a delicious cookie, but it is by no means healthy. That is why I created these healthy vegan chocolate chip cookies that are 100% plant based and natural. These cookies are made without any animal products, and no added sugar. How are they sweet? I used natural sweeteners like date sugar (which is just ground up dates) and applesauce to give these cookies the perfect amount of sweetness with9out using any refined sugars! Which leads me to me next point:
Why avoid refined sugars?
One of the foundations of my blog is to create refined sugar-free recipes just like these healthy vegan chocolate chip cookies. Refined sugars include:
- White/table sugar
- Powdered sugar
- Brown sugar
- Corn syrup/high fructose corn syrup
- Brown rice syrup
This is not a complete list, but it’s the most common ones you will see. The good news is that here on theallnaturalvegan.com you will never see a recipe that calls for one of these ingredients! You will only ever see recipes that call for natural sweeteners such as:
- Fruits and vegetables (think dates, apples, bananas, sweet potatoes etc.)
- Date syrup
- Blackstrap molasses
- Maple crystals
- Date sugar
Again, this is not a complete list, but these are my go-to natural sweeteners! I am always discovering new refined sugar-free sweeteners, so if you have a favorite that is not mentioned in this list, comment below!
Ingredients for this Healthy Vegan Chocolate Chip recipe:
- Almond flour
- Oat flour
- Coconut flour
- Cashew butter
- Date sugar
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract
- Plant based chocolate chips
- Ground flaxseed
Healthy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350.
- In a mixer cream together cashew butter and date sugar. Add vanilla and continue to mix. Add all three flours slowly, continuing to mix.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until combined. Scoop out 12 cookies and place on the baking sheet. I like to flatten them slightly with the bottom of a cup so they flatten out a bit.
- Bake for 15 minutes, and allow to cool on a cooling rack 5-10 minutes before enjoying!