Talk about paradise in a bowl! I am currently sitting here freezing next to my space heater writting this post. Oh how I long for warmer days. This Vegan Teriyaki Chicken Bowl is about as close as I'll get to warmer weather for awhile, but hey, I'll take it! This delicious vegan bowl recipe is definitely a new favorite of mine, and for so many reasons! Obviously it's delicious, or else it wouldn't be here lol. It's also super healthy (again, if it wasn't it wouldn't be here), it also has my delicious chickpea chicken in it, and I think that's what puts this recipe on top!
What is this "Chicken" made from?
If you're looking for a vegan chicken recipe that tastes just like chicken, well then this recipe is not it. I'm not going to lie, is it freaking delicious? Yes, does it taste/feel like chicken, not quite. Very few vegan meats taste like the real deal, which is fine by me! I personally don't want my vegan chicken to taste exactly like chicken, because I never liked chicken in the first place.
I have a question for my fellow vegans out there: Do you like vegan meat more than actual meat? Personally I do. I think it has a much better texture and flavor. This vegan teriyaki chicken is exactly what I am talking about. Since this is a homemade seitan recipe (seitan is basically just homemade vegan meat made with vital wheat gluten) I got to choose exactly what goes in it. You really get to control the flavors to create the vegan meat of your dreams!
Most store bought vegan meats contain highly processed oils and flavoring, so I usually try to avoid those and just make my own, it's super simple!
Ingredients for this Vegan Teriyaki Chicken Recipe:
- Vital wheat gluten
- Brown rice
- Nutritional yeast
- Vegetable broth
- Date syrup
- Tapioca stach
- Liquid aminos
- Rice vinegar
Vegan Teriyaki Chicken
For the chickpea "chicken"
For the Vegetables:
- 1 pineapple (you can use this one to make the bowls, see notes)
- 2 crowns broccoli
- 2 carrots
- 1 bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 2 green onions
- 2 tablespoon liquid aminos
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon date syrups
- 2 tablespoon tapioca starch Can use corn starch, arrowroot powder, etc.
- 1 cup brown rice
- Begin by cooking your rice.
- To make the chickpea chicken, combine all ingredients except the vital wheat gluten in a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Once smooth, add to a bowl with the vital wehat gluten and mix. You will slowly see the meaty texture forming. Once it begins to form start wrapping it around itself. Form into a log (can be ugly lol) and wrap in foil. Place in a steamer and steam for 4o minutes.
- While the chickpea chicken is steaming, get out a pan and add a little bit of water. Mince your ginger and garlic and add to the pan. Chop your pineapple into chunks and add to the pan along with any juice. Shred the carrots, dice peppers, and cut broccoli. Add to the pan along with remaining ingredients and turn to low
- At this point the chickpea chicken should be done. Remove from the steamer, unwrap, and peel it into strips
- Add these strips to the pan and stir until everything is combined. Serve over rice and enjoy!