Why make this Vegan Shepherd’s Pie?
I am very much a routine type of gal. I don’t just love it, I need it. With that said, I plan out my weekly meals every Sunday so I know exactly what I am eating when. The thing is though, even when I plan things out I always end up with leftover ingredients at the end of the week. My solution: this vegan shepherds pie recipe! I used to just make leftover Buddha Bowls, but honestly they got old quick. Don’t get me wrong I ADORE a good buddha bowl, but honestly you have to have a strategy going in when you make a proper Buddha bowl. This lentil shepherds pie on the other hand? Totally can wing it!
I mentioned budget friendly in the intro, and I think it’s important to highlight that. First, if you’re following my method and using up what you already have … well I think that speaks for itself as to how it saves money. It also is budget friendly, because the ingredients you do have to buy for this recipe are some of the cheapest you can get! Lastly, this recipe stores well in the fridge, so you can enjoy leftovers for days!
What makes lentils so good?
The humble lentil, oh how underrated you are. Lentils are one of those foods I never really paid much attention to until I went vegan. Lentils are loaded with protein and fiber making them a perfect plant based protein option! I also love lentils, because they do a really good job absorbing the flavors of what you cook it with. That’s why I love this vegan shepherd’s pie so much, it’s packed full of flavor!
Can I make this without using potatoes?
You definitely can! If you’re avoiding potatoes for whatever reason, you can still enjoy this pie! I would recommend subbing out the potatoes for a cauliflower mash, or just skipping all together, the inside is still delicious!
Ingredients for this Vegan Lentil Shepherd’s Pie:
- Red potatoes
- Vegetable broth
- Green beans
- Tomato paste
- Italian seasoning
- Stone ground mustard
- Nutritional yeast
- Liquid aminos
- Miso paste
- Plant based milk
Lentil Shepherds Pie
For the lentil filling:
For the mashed potato topping:
- 8-10 red potatoes
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 plant based milk of choice
- 1 tsp miso paste
- Begin by boiling your lentils in a pot of water and preheating the oven to 375.
- Next, steam or boil your potatoes. If you have a pressure cooker you can use it and speed up the time.
- While the potatoes and lentils are cooking, get out a sauté pan. Add some vegetable broth to the pan and your diced onions and minced garlic.
- Slice the carrots and celery and add to the onions and garlic. Add the mushrooms and green beans. Add remaining vegetable broth. Strain your lentils and add to the mix. Add remaining lentil filling ingredients.
- Once potatoes have finished, strain them and add them to a bowl with all potato ingredients and mash.
- Assemble your pie in an oven safe dish (does not have to be a pie dish) by pouring the lentil mixture in first then topping it with the mashed potatoes, kind of like icing a cake! Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes!
- Allow to cool 5-10 minutes and enjoy!