I am so excited to share today’s Vegan Sweet Potato Mac And Cheese recipe with you guys! This creamy plant based mac and cheese is packed full of vegetables and flavor. Unlike most mac and cheese recipes, this dish’s flavor resembles a creamy casserole more than a cheesy classic macaroni.
What Is Sweet Potato Mac And Cheese:
If you’re coming to this recipe looking for a vegan mac and cheese recipe that taste just like regular mac and cheese, you are in the wrong place. This Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese doesn’t taste like traditional mac and cheese at all. However that does not mean it is not delicious. This very well may be one of my favorite pasta recipes I have ever made.
What exactly is Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese if it’s not like regular mac and cheese? Well, it is super creamy, lightly sweet, filling, healthy, and super additive. It is more like a sweet potato pasta casserole than a mac and cheese, but it’s all about the resemblance, right?
Either way I can promise you that this recipe is sure to be a hit. It’s full of vegetables and is perfect weeknight dinner recipe for the family.
Ingredients For This Sweet Potato Mac And Cheese:
- Sweet Potatoes – Of course the base of this vegan sweet potato mac and cheese is sweet potatoes! Normally i like to leave the skin on sweet potatoes for the added nutrients. However for this recipe I strongly encourage you to peel the sweet potatoes. You’ll be left with a much smoother and sweeter dish.
- Golden Potatoes – Are perfect for thickening up sauced like this one. They’re whole foods plant based, and they work like a charm! Any potato will work, But I find that golden potatoes work the best.
- Carrots – Since the flavor of this mac and cheese is more sweet than savory, carrots are the perfect addition. Not only do they add flavor, but they increase the plant based diversity of the dish!
- Onion – A little goes a long way with the onion in this recipe, so look for a smaller sized onion when you’re shopping. I went with a sweet onion variety to compliment the natural sweetness of the sweet potato.
- Garlic – Adds the perfect amount of savory flavor to this dish. You can use pre-minced garlic, however I always recommend using the whole clove to avoid unnecessary preservatives.
- Coconut Aminos – My favorite thing to roast vegetables with is coconut aminos. They always come out super creamy and caramelized, and it’s oil-free!
- Nutritional Yeast – Even though this Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese does not taste anything like traditional mac and cheese, it needs a hint of cheesy flavor. That’s where nutritional yeast comes in! It adds the perfect hint of cheesy flavor without becoming overwhelming.
- Raw Cashew Butter – It is super important to use raw cashew butter and not roasted cashew butter. They have drastically different flavors. I always get my raw cashew butter in bulk from Wilderness Poets. It’s made in micro batches and is 100% organic. As always my code: “VEGAN10” gets you $10 off your purchase!
- Plant Based Milk – Any plant based milk will work for this recipe. I personally love using unsweetened soy, because it’s super creamy and has added protein.
- Salt – Trust me, this makes or breaks the recipe. You only need the tiniest amount, but it’s vital. I used Himalayan Pink salt because I had it on hand, however any salt will work.
- Gluten-Free Pasta – You can use gluten-free, whole wheat, or bean based pasta, they will all work perfectly!
- Gluten-Free Panko – If you’re not gluten-free, you can use regular. Try to look for one that doesn’t have added sugar, and is vegan.
How To Make This Sweet Potato Mac And Cheese:
One reason I love this Vegan Sweet Potato Mac And Cheese so much, is because it is so easy to make. It only takes a few simple steps, and is not super hands on.
To make this mac and cheese, begin by preheating the oven to 425.
Next begin peeling the sweet potatoes, golden potatoes, and carrots. Chop into medium chunks and place on a baking sheet. Peel the onion and chop into large chunks and add to the baking sheet. Peel the garlic and add the whole cloves to the baking sheet. Pour coconut aminos over the vegetables and toss. Place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
While the vegetables are roasting, boil water and make the pasta according to package instructions.
Once the vegetables are cooked, add to a blender with the nutritional yeast, plant based milk, raw cashew butter, and salt. Blend until silky smooth. Add the pasta to an oven safe casserole dish, and pour the sauce over. Mix to ensure everything is evenly coated.
Pour half the panko on top and lightly mix, and then add the rest. Place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes, or until the panko has browned on top. Serve and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is This Vegan Sweet Potato Mac And Cheese Good For Meal Prep?
I live alone, therefore I absolutely adore recipes that can be meal prepped. This Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese has easily become one of my favorite leftovers. It’s so thick and creamy, and might even taste better on the second day.
In order to properly meal prep this recipe, it’s important that you use air-tight storage containers to ensure that the pasta doesn’t dry out. If stored properly, this recipe will last a full week in the fridge. You can also throw it in the freezer and reheat it in the oven if you’re looking to keep it for a longer period of time. Again make sure it’s in an air tight container!
Can I Use Different Types Of Pasta?
Of course! This recipe calls for curly pasta, but almost any pasta will work great. I would not recommend using spaghetti, or anything like large shells, lasagna noodles, etc. However any bite size pasta will work great!
Is This Sweet Potato Mac And Cheese Healthy?
If you’ve been around for awhile, then you already know the answer to this question. However if you’re new (welcome!!), then you may be unsure if this recipe is truly healthy, or not.
The short answer is: yes. Yes, this vegan sweet potato mac and cheese is healthy. It’s made with all natural whole foods plant based ingredients, it’s oil-free, dairy-free, and gluten-free. Not only is this recipe free of all the unhealthy stuff, but it is packed full of all the good stuff as well.
Every ingredient in this recipe has it’s own unique health benefits. Therefore it’s full of vitamins and minerals as well as important nutrients like fiber, protein, and a touch of healthy fats.
Related Vegan Pasta Recipes:
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Pasta
- Creamy Golden Beet Pasta
- Creamy Baked Tomato Pasta
- Fettuccine With Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce
Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
- To make this mac and cheese, begin by preheating the oven to 425.
- Next begin peeling the sweet potatoes, golden potatoes, and carrots. Chop into medium chunks and place on a baking sheet. Peel the onion and chop into large chunks and add to the baking sheet. Peel the garlic and add the whole cloves to the baking sheet.
- Pour coconut aminos over the vegetables and toss. Place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, boil water and make the pasta according to package instructions.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add to a blender with the nutritional yeast, plant based milk, raw cashew butter, and salt. Blend until silky smooth. Add the pasta to an oven safe casserole dish, and pour the sauce over. Mix to ensure everything is evenly coated.
- Pour half the panko on top and lightly mix, and then add the rest. Place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes, or until the panko has browned on top. Serve and enjoy!