I am so excited about today's recipe! I have been refining this recipe for quite some time and I finally have perfected it! There are plenty of chickpea salad sandwich recipes out there, so my goal was never to just create a simple recipe to go along with all the others. While yes, this is an easy chickpea salad sandwich recipe, it is also a healthy plant based recipe as well.
What makes this chickpea salad healthy?
This easy chickpea salad sandwich is a healthy recipe, because it is made with whole foods plant based ingredients. While researching chickpea salad sandwiches I kept seeing recipe after recipe using vegan mayo, highly processed oil, or refined sugars. Not only is this recipe free of these ingredients, but it is also filled with healthy nourishing ingredients. That's what I'm all about here, I want to create recipes for everyone that are not only free of the unhealthy stuff, but loaded with the good stuff! I have plenty of healthy recipes on my blog, and plenty of other healthy lunch recipes. Here are some favorites of mine:
How to make the perfect homemade chickpeas:
Up until recently I always purchased canned chickpeas. I thought that you couldn't get cheaper than canned goods, and well, I was wrong. Buying dried beans is extremely affordable, and surprisingly easy to make. I previously thought that you had to soak beans overnight and then cook them, and I mean whose got time for that? To my surprise you can actually cook dried beans in about thirty minutes using a pressure cooker. Owning a pressure cooker has honestly changed my life. I have the Ninja Foodi and I honestly use it every day. In order to cook dried chickpeas for this recipe you just need to add the chickpeas and about 6 cups of water and set on high for 22 minutes, that's it!
Optional toppings for this easy chickpea salad sandwich:
This easy sandwich recipe has room for you to customize it to your liking. Since this is a sandwich recipe, you can really play around with what vegetables you want on it. I kept it simple for this recipe with some sprouts, spring mix, and tomato. This recipe would also work well with onions, radishes, pickles, etc. This recipe is made for you, so spice it up however you like!
Ingredients for this Easy Chickpea Salad Sandwich:
- Cucumber, or pickles
- Cashew butter "VEGAN10" FOR $10 off!
- Medjool dates
- White wine vinegar
- Miso paste
- Dijon mustard
- Gluten-free bread
Easy Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 1 Pressure Cooker optional
For the chickpea salad:
For the sandwich:
- 1 tomato
- gluten-free bread
- romaine lettuce
- Begin by preparing your vegetables. Mince the celery and cucumber, and shred the carrot.
- In a large bowl add the chickpeas and mash. It's important to mash these with a fork or potato masher rather than a food processor, because the food processor will give you more of a hummus consistency, instead of that chicken/eggy texture.
- Add the vegetable to the bowl and mix.
- Chop the herbs and combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl and mix until smooth. Add this to the bowl and mix until everything is combined.
- Assemble the sandwich by toasting the bread and then layering the salad mix on top of the lettuce, followed by tomato then sprouts. Serve and enjoy!