I have the ultimate childhood classic recipe for you guys today: healthy vegan pop tarts (strawberry)! Growing up pop tarts were the ultimate breakfast treat. I have 4 siblings, so when we had sugary treats they didn't last long. With that said, I have eaten a lot of pop tarts in my life ... like a lot. However, I haven't had a pop tart since going vegan about 3 years ago. Well, until I made these healthy strawberry pop tarts. These vegan strawberry pop tarts were incredible, and I am so excited to share the recipe with you all!
What makes these vegan pop tarts healthy?
Traditional pop tarts are loaded with refined sugars, heavily processed oils, and all kinds of artificial colors and flavors, and honestly who knows what else! These Healthy vegan Pop tarts on the other hand are loaded with plant based ingredients, free of oil, and naturally sweetened. This makes these pop tarts the ultimate healthy sweet treat!
Can I make these healthy pop tarts in other flavors?
Absolutely. Since the base for pop tarts is pretty standard, you really only need to change the filling to change the flavor of the pop tarts. If you want to make chocolate pop tarts, you just need to add some cacao powder to the base, and maybe a tad bit more liquid. Make sure to subscribe to my website, because I have plans to upload more healthy vegan pop tart recipes soon!
Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
While these vegan strawberry pop tarts are free of just about everything, they are not gluten-free. With that said, I have been doing a lot of thinking, and I definitely believe that they can be made gluten-free. Although I am not gluten-free, I want to share gluten-free recipes, because I know there are a lot of you out there who are gluten-free, and I am making these recipes for you! If I were to make a suggestion right now on how to make this recipe gluten-free, I would suggest trying either Cassava Flour, or Sorghum Flour using a 1:1 ratio.
Why make these Vegan Pop Tarts?
I have touched on why not to make these healthy pop tarts, but I wanted to share my reasons that you should. First and foremost, they are delicious. If you're like me, and loved pop tarts before beginning your health journey, but are craving those classic flavors, this is for you. Secondly, they are filled with ingredients that will actually nourish your body with: vitamins, minerals, fiber, protein etc. Whenever I am making a recipe, these are the two most important factors that I consider, and if you're reading this, then those are probably yours too! If you are looking for other healthy plant based desserts, I have plenty on my blog! Some of my favorites include:
Ingredients for these healthy vegan pop tarts:
- Whole wheat flour
- Almond butter
- Date sugar
- Ice water
- Date syrup
- Tapioca flour
- Coconut milk
- Rawnice Pink Pitaya Powder - "NATURALVEGAN15" For 15% off!
Vegan Strawberry Pop Tarts
For the dough:
For the filling:
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 tablespoon date syrup
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch can sub corn starch
For the Glaze:
- 2 tablespoon coconut cream
- ½ teaspoon Rawnice Pink Pitaya Powder
- At least 2 hours before estimated bake time, add the flour and almond butter together and mix. I used my hands and broke it up (you could also use a mixer). Add the salt and date sugar and mix again. Slowly add the water tablespoon at a time, you may need more(just add until the dough is firm like a sugar cookie). Roll into a ball, and wrap with plastic wrap, and put in the fridge.
- When it is time to bake, take the dough out of the fridge, and begin working on the filling. In a saucepan add all the filling ingredients together, plus a tablespoon of water and cook on high. Eventually the strawberries will fall apart and form a jelly like consistency. Once achieved, remove from heat and set aside.
- Roll out the dough and cut into rectangles. Place the filling on the inside of one rectangle and cover with another. Press the edges down to seal. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until slight browning occurs.
- To make the glaze simply mix ingredients together (This will melt of the hot pop tarts, but if eaten cool it will remain firm). Top with freeze dried strawberries and enjoy!