I am so excited to share today's Plant Based Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe with you all today. Broccoli cheddar soup is a classic, and has always been one of my favorite soups. Traditional broccoli cheddar soup is high in saturated fat cheese and dairy. Even vegan broccoli cheddar soup recipes contain super processed vegan cheeses, or they contain high fat nuts.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love using nuts in my recipes, but I wanted to make this recipe nut-free that it was allergen friendly, and low calorie! In order to make this plant based broccoli cheddar soup recipe creamy without adding these high calorie items I went with cauliflower and potatoes, two of the most versatile vegetables on the planet!
Why use vegetables to make this plant based broccoli cheddar soup creamy?
Like I was saying in the previous paragraph, you could use oils, vegan cheese, nuts, coconut milk, etc. to make this plant based cheddar broccoli soup creamy. However you can make the soup just as creamy and delicious using whole foods (vegetables). To me the choice is obvious; go with the whole foods plant based recipe always. Nobody is perfect, but we can control how we eat at home. And that's why I'm here: to provide an abundance of healthy recipes for you to choose from so that you never have to worry about food again!
Do I need a Vitamix for this recipe?
Absolutely not! The recipe for this plant based broccoli cheddar soup calls for a high speed blender, but you can totally make this recipe without one. I will say that ever since I got my Vitamix it's been a game changer for creating creamy textures for my recipes. I know that they are very expensive, but on the bright side I have seen them dropping in price recently. If you're considering purchasing one I think now's the time to do it! If you have one, or are planning to purchase one, here are some of my favorite recipes that use a high speed blender:
- Date Sweetened Brownies
- Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Plant Based Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Healthy Vegan Pecan Pie
What's the difference between plant based and vegan?
There are thousands of vegan broccoli cheddar soup recipes out there, and they're probably all delicious. I bet that a bunch of them claim to be healthy too. While being vegan tends to mean more healthy, it doesn't always mean more healthy. There are plenty of vegan foods and recipes that are loaded with ultra processed ingredients making them almost as unhealthy as the alternative. However, my recipes are vegan and plant based, which means that the ingredients going into the recipe are all natural )(hints the name). Therefore recipes such as this plant based broccoli cheddar soup recipe are made with simple clean ingredients.
Ingredients for this plant based cheddar broccoli soup recipe:
- Golden potatoes
- Miso paste
- Nutritional Yeast
- Plant based milk
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 head cauliflower
- 3 crowns broccoli
- 2 carrots
- 5 cloves garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 onion
- 2 golden potatoes
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoon miso paste
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ⅔ plant based milk of choice
- Begin by chopping the potatoes into chunks, and breaking the cauliflower into pieces. Steam for 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes and cauliflower are steaming, begin chopping the vegetables. Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Add to a pot with a little bit of water and sauté.
- Once onions have cooked, shred the carrots, and chop the broccoli. Add to the pot. Add the vegetable broth, and let cook.
- Once the potatoes and cauliflower have finished steaming, add them, and the nutritional yeast, spices, miso paste, and plant based milk to a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Pour this creamy mixture into the pot and mix until combined. Cook for 20 minutes on medium. Serve with bread and enjoy!
Leave a Reply