This Rainbow Sweet Potato Kale Salad is the ultimate quick and easy sweet potato salad. It's packed full of nutrient-dense ingredients and the most amazing creamy dressing. This recipe is perfect for vegans, and anyone looking for more healthy recipes!
After years of making my Rainbow Kale Salad on repeat, I knew it was time to create another rainbow-inspired kale salad this time featuring my favorite vegetable: the sweet potato!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe features several affiliate links, meaning I will earn a small commission if you purchase through these links.
- Ingredients For This Kale Sweet Potato Salad With Tahini Dressing:
- How To Make The Sweet Potato Kale Salad:
- Kale Sweet Potato Salad Substitutions:
- Rainbow Sweet Potato Kale Salad Variations:
- What You Need To Make This Rainbow Sweet Potato Kale Salad Recipe:
- How To Store This Roasted Sweet Potato Kale Salad:
- TOP TIP:
- Frequently Asked Questions:
- Related Sweet Potato Recipes:
- Rainbow Sweet Potato Kale Salad
- More Kale Recipes:
Ingredients For This Kale Sweet Potato Salad With Tahini Dressing:
Kale Sweet Potato Salad:
- Curly Kale - Any variety of kale will work perfectly for this kale salad recipe. I often use Tuscan kale or rainbow kale for this recipe. It's important to properly prepare your kale as well.
- Sweet Potatoes - This kale salad would not be complete without a variety off roasted sweet potatoes. I used orange sweet potatoes, purple sweet potatoes, and Japanese sweet potatoes. If you can't find all the varieties, you can make this recipe with just one, however, I think they all add unique flavors.
- Sprouts - Any type of sprouts will work great for this recipe. Adding sprouts to recipes is one of my favorite ways to add additional nutrients, as well as volume.
- Sesame Seeds - You can use both raw sesame seeds and/or toasted sesame seeds. Either will work great and add unique flavors.
- Tahini - Tahini is one of my favorite oil-free ingredients to use for salad dressing. It creates a smooth dressing that is packed full of flavor. Not only is tahini packed full of flavor, but it is also full of fiber, protein, and healthy fats.
- Lemon Juice - Lemon juice adds just the right amount of acidity to this sweet potato salad.
- Maple Syrup - I love adding maple syrup to help balance out all the flavors in the salad dressing. Date syrup is another great option when it comes to adding natural sweetness!
- Garlic Powder - In my opinion no savory recipe is complete without a touch of garlic. I love adding a little garlic powder to the dressing to add more flavor.
- Onion Powder - Just like garlic powder, onion powder is essential for adding delicious flavor to this roasted sweet potato kale salad!
- Sea Salt - A pinch of salt helps to elevate the natural flavor of this tahini dressing.
- Water - You will need a splash of water to mix the dressing ingredients together.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How To Make The Sweet Potato Kale Salad:
This Sweet Potato Kale Salad is a great salad for newbie and veteran chefs alike. It's incredibly easy to make and has the perfect flavor and texture combination.
1. Begin by preheating the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Next, cut the sweet potatoes into half moons and place them on a baking sheet. I recommend baking on a silicone mat to keep this recipe oil-free, however, you can add a splash of olive oil if you want to add a little oil, or if you don't have a silicone baking sheet. Place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes.
3. While the sweet potatoes are baking, make the tahini salad dressing by combining all the salad dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and whisking until smooth.
4. De-stem the kale, break it into small pieces, and add it to a large bowl.
5. Add 1-2 tablespoons of the dressing to the large bowl of kale, and begin to massage the kale. Do this by grabbing chunks of kale and pressing them through your hands.
6. After the kale has been massaged, add the sprouts, sesame seeds, roasted sweet potatoes, and the remaining salad dressing. Toss the salad and enjoy!
Hint: You can also massage kale with a little oil. I'd recommend using olive oil.
Kale Sweet Potato Salad Substitutions:
This Rainbow Sweet Potato Salad is great because there are so many simple and easy substitutions that can be made.
- Vinegar - If you need to substitute the fresh lemon juice with another acidic ingredient, I recommend using apple cider vinegar. It has a slightly sweet vinegar taste, and it is full of health benefits. You can also use lime juice, however, I think lime juice adds too much flavor and I wouldn't recommend it.
- Seeds - The sesame seeds in this recipe can be substituted with any seeds. I'd recommend using pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds since they are both highly nutritious.
- Oil - You can replace the tahini with your oil of choice. I'd recommend olive oil or avocado oil! I'd start with a tablespoon of oil at a time and work your way up until you have the desired taste.
Rainbow Sweet Potato Kale Salad Variations:
This roasted sweet potato kale salad is a delicious salad that can easily be spiced up.
- Avocado - One of my favorite additions to this kale salad is creamy avocado. I love adding a whole avocado to this salad because it compliments the flavor of the sweet potatoes so nicely.
- Cheese - You can add a handful of vegan feta cheese for flavor and a great texture. This makes the salad a bit more of a comfort food and adds more color and textures.
- Spicy - You can add about a teaspoon of chilli flakes or chili powder to the dressing for an added kick.
What You Need To Make This Rainbow Sweet Potato Kale Salad Recipe:
This easy kale salad is great because it requires no crazy equipment. All you need is:
- Chefs Knife - You will need a sharp knife to cut the sweet potatoes.
- Cutting Board - In order to cut the sweet potatoes you need a solid cutting board. I recommend a thick wooden one.
- Sheet Pan - You will need a medium or large sheet pan.
- Bowls - You will need both a large bowl and a small bowl to toss the salad in, and to mix the salad dressing ingredients in.
How To Store This Roasted Sweet Potato Kale Salad:
This is such a good salad to meal prep because it keeps so well in the fridge. I recommend storing this salad in an airtight container, or meal prep containers. If stored properly this salad will keep 3-4 days in the fridge.
If you plan to meal prep this rainbow sweet potato kale salad, I recommend keeping the dressing separate, and adding it to the salad whenever you are ready to eat. This will keep the flavors fresh.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Tahini is one of those foods that I'd never heard of before going vegan. However, it quickly became a staple in my diet. Tahini is ground-up sesame seeds - that's it!
I love tahini, because it is more runny than nut butter, but still contains fiber and other nutrients, unlike oil. This makes it the perfect oil-free salad dressing ingredient!
There is an abundance of sweet potatoes out there. This recipe only contains the three most popular varieties. Even though the sweet potatoes all look different, there isn't actually a big nutritional difference between them all. I personally love the Japanese variety, because they have the sweetest taste. However, the purple variety has a slightly higher antioxidant content.
If you don't eat sweet potatoes often you may not be sure how to prepare them. Do you need to peel sweet potatoes? Nope! You can totally eat the skin. You should eat the skin.
The skin is loaded with nutrients and does not affect the taste. If you ask my Mom she'll say it absolutely does affect it, but I say you give it a try. Ultimately it's up to you. Whatever way you will enjoy it the most is the way you should make it!
Related Sweet Potato Recipes:
Looking for more recipes that use sweet potatoes? Try these delicious recipes!
Rainbow Sweet Potato Kale Salad
- 1-2 bunches curly kale depending on size
- 1 cup sprouts
- 1 orange sweet potato
- 1 Japanese sweet potato
- 1 purple sweet potato
- ⅓ cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1-2 tablespoon water
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Begin by preheating the oven to 400 degrees.
- Next, cut the sweet potatoes into half moons and place them on a baking sheet. I recommend baking on a silicone mat to keep this recipe oil-free, however, you can add a splash of olive oil if you want to add a little oil, or if you don't have a silicone baking sheet. Place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, make the tahini salad dressing by combining all the salad dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and whisking until smooth.
- De-stem the kale, break it into small pieces, and add it to a large bowl.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of the dressing to the large bowl of kale, and begin to massage the kale. Do this by grabbing chunks of kale and pressing them through your hands.
- After the kale has been massaged, add the sprouts, sesame seeds, roasted sweet potatoes, and the remaining salad dressing. Toss the salad and enjoy!
More Kale Recipes:
Looking for more recipes using fresh kale? Try some of my favorite kale recipes!