I am so excited to share today's Rainbow Kale Salad! I am finally sharing one of my all time favorite recipes! This healthy vegan salad has been a staple in my kitchen for years. It's super nutritious, and super easy to make. Talk about a win-win!
Is cold pressed oil healthy for you?
I try my best to avoid using oils when i am making recipes. I never cook with oil, and I rarely use it for salads. Usually there is a better whole foods plant based option that I can use instead of oil. However there are recipes such as this Rainbow Kale Salad, that just taste way better with oil. However with that said, it's super important to make sure that you use cold pressed oils.
Why? There's plenty of reasons, but I'll stick to the basics. Most oils are highly processed and lose most of their health benefits. Without these nutrients they just become super calorically dense fat bombs. Therefore I see no need for them in my diet. There are so many ways to make oil-free recipes that are lower in fat, and higher in protein and fiber now days that I simply don't find the need for highly processed oils. I still use oil occasionally, but my rule of thumb is to only used cold pressed oils in salad dressings!
Ingredients for this Rainbow Kale Salad:
- Quinoa - Is my favorite grain to use in salads. It mixes so well, so you can be sure you'll get some with every bite. It's also high in protein and therefore turns this salad into a complete meal.
- Kale - Any kale variety will work perfectly for this recipe. If you feel like really spicing this Rainbow Kale Salad up, you can use rainbow kale! Rainbow kale is simply just a variety of kale that contains multiple colors of kale. The kale is still green, but has hints of purple and red.
- Carrots - Adds the perfect crunch and help to bulk up the salad.
- Bell Pepper - Feel free to use any color of bell pepper. I personally love buying the mixed sweet ones, and using a variety.
- Edamame - One of my favorite whole foods plant based proteins! If you're soy-free, you can also use peas.
- Daikon Radish - This ingredient may be a bit tricky to find, so if you can't find it don't stress! It doesn't have a super strong flavor and is used more to add bulk to the salad.
- Cold Pressed Flaxseed Oil - Any cold pressed oil will do. I personally love using flaxseed oil, because it has a mild flavor that goes well with so many flavors.
- Red Wine Vinegar - Is the core flavor in this salad. It's tart and lightly sweet.
- Green Onions - Add the perfect crunch and acidic flavor.
- Italian Seasoning - This salad is super flavorful, and that's due to the variety of herbs used. I love going with an Italian seasoning blend, because it has so many nutritious herbs mixed together. If you don't have a pre-made blend, you can use equal parts dried: basil, thyme, oregano, marjoram, sage, and rosemary.
How To Make This Rainbow Kale Salad:
This Rainbow Kale Salad is one of my favorite quick and easy vegan salads to make. It takes less than 15 minutes to make, and can be stored for days in the fridge.
To make this salad, begin by chopping the kale and massaging it with a touch of the flaxseed oil. If you've never massaged kale before, all it is is grabbing the kale with your hands and pressing it through. You will see the kale begins to break down some, and turns more vibrant green.
Cook the quinoa according to package instructions. While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the rest of the ingredients. Peel and shred the carrots and daikon radish. Dice the bell peppers and chop the green onions into rounds. Add to the bowl of kale.
Make the cold pressed salad dressing by combining the flaxseed oil, red wine vinegar, and the Italian seasoning together. Whisk and set aside. Add the quinoa and edamame to the salad bowl and cover with the dressing. Toss and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I make this Rainbow Kale salad raw vegan?
This Rainbow Kale Salad is the perfect salad for vegans and non vegans alike. It's full of nutrient dense ingredients, and it is super filling. However if you are on a raw vegan diet, or a paleo diet, this salad can be enjoy with a few simple substitutions.
To make this salad raw vegan friendly, you just have to substitute the quinoa and the edamame. My personal favorite substitutions are riced cauliflower and peas. This will give you the same bulk and similar protein without any cooked foods. You can also use broccoli, jicama, or any other vegetable, and nuts, or seeds for protein.
How To Get The Bitterness Out Of Kale Salad?
If you're not typically a fan of kale, I recommend you give it another shot. Chances are you've been preparing it wrong. Making kale taste good is a bit of a process. in it's natural form it is quite bitter and chewy. However it can easily be turned delicious with a few simple steps.
Begin by washing it thoroughly - trust me. Once the kale is washed, de-stem it and break it into bite sized chunks. Sprinkle with a touch of oil (about 2 teaspoons) and massage it thoroughly. You want it to be soft and darker green.
If you follow these steps and use a delicious dressing such as the one used in this Rainbow Kale Salad, you will see how delicious kale can be!
Is This Rainbow Kale Salad Good For Meal Prep?
This Rainbow Kale Salad is one of my absolute favorite salads to meal prep. It's easy to pack, and stays fresh in the fridge for the full week. However I do have a few suggestions if you're going to meal prep this recipe.
First, you will want to double the salad dressing. As the days go on, the flavor of the dressing will begin to diminish. Therefore I recommend doubling it and then keeping half of it separate to freshen it up as the days go on.
Second, make sure that you are using air-tight containers. If air gets into the salad, it can dry up really quickly. If stored properly, this salad will remain super fresh for 5 full days.
related Vegan salad recipes:
- Edamame Crunch Salad
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh Salad
- Roasted Golden Beet Salad
- Arugula Avocado Salad
- Roasted Kale Salad
Rainbow Kale Salad
- 1 bunch rainbow kale
- ⅔ cup dried quinoa
- 3 carrots
- 1 daikon radish
- 1 bell pepper or 1 cup chopped sweet peppers
- 2 cups edamame
- 2 tablespoon cold pressed flax seed oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3 green onions optional
- Begin by cooking your quinoa according to package instructions. While the quinoa is cooking, wash and massage your kale.
- In a large bowl combine the massaged kale, edamame, and shredded carrots and daikon radish. Dice the bell pepper and add to the bowl. Once the quinoa is done allow to cool and then add to the bowl.
- While the quinoa is cooling, slice the green pepper and add the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl and whisk together. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss with the quinoa. Serve in your Coconut Bowl and enjoy!
Healthy, protein-packed salad like this are my favorite!
This is such a great salad recipe! We make this regularly in our home now.
love the colors combining all good healthy veggies. this kale salad is easy to make. I love to meal prep on weekends and enjoy for the week
We couldn't get over how flavorful the dressing is! This delicious salad is on regular rotation for meal prep!
Absolutely loving this rainbow kale salad! It doesn't take long to make at all and is perfect for meal prepped lunches.
wow this salad is absolutely delicious! i love all the textures
This salad was so delicious. Even my kids liked it!