I couldn't be more excited about today's vegan lemon poppy seed muffins! I am such a sucker for this classic lemon muffin. Can you go wrong with lemons? I don't think so. There are many reasons that I love this lemon and poppy seed muffin recipe besides the flavor. It's made with super healthy ingredients and naturally sweetened. These muffins are also super fluffy, which in my opinion all proper muffins ought to be. If you're a fellow lemon lover like myself, then I definitely recommend checking out some of my other lemon recipes:
How to Make Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins:
Traditional muffins are almost always marketed as a healthy breakfast option when in reality they're usually loaded with animal products, refined grains, and refined sugars. If you know me, then you know that I avoid all of these. This may seem a bit extreme, but it's actually very simple. Why would I consume these ingredients when I can easily make delicious recipes like these vegan lemon poppy seed muffins without them? The best part is that you can make these gluten-free muffins with simple whole foods plant based ingredients! How? Well, here are some of my favorite ingredients to make lemon poppy seed muffins healthy:
Key ingredients for these refined sugar-free vegan muffins:
- Maple Crystals: I've talked about Maple Crystals on here many times before, because I am truly obsessed! They are essentially less processed maple syrup. What does that mean? It means that they have a lower glycemic index, and are higher in fiber. Two things that are really important to me when choosing a natural sweetener. They are also sweeter than sugar, so a little goes a long way. As always my code "VEGAN10" gets you $10 off your entire Wilderness Poets order!
- Oat flour: I love using oat flour for gluten-free recipes. I kind of hate it when people claim a recipe is healthy just because it uses gluten-free flour. The reality is that most gluten-free flour blends are highly processed and do not contain lots of fiber, or nutrients. Oat flour works great to create fluffy, plant based, and nutrient dense gluten-free flour.
- Coconut Butter: Lost but not least is coconut butter. I love using coconut butter for all kinds of things. However one of my favorite ways to use coconut butter is to make healthy glazes like the one used in this vegan lemon poppy seed recipe. I use coconut butter overt coconut oil, because it is less processed than coconut oil, and like the other substitutes mention, it contains fiber! Pretty much my rule of thumb is to always go with the option that contains more fiber.
How to make naturally sweetened vegan baked goods:
Over my years of being a "all natural vegan" I have learned a thing, or two about making naturally sweetened baked goods. Most of you probably don't know this about me, but before going vegan I was very into baking. I loved making all kinds of baked goods, and especially loved baking cakes. However none of those recipes were even remotely healthy. Nowadays I am a complete health nut, so all of my baked goods recipes, such as these vegan lemon poppy seed muffins are made with healthy whole foods plant based ingredients. They key to successful healthy baking? It's simple: always opt for the least processed option. That's why I love using ingredients such as applesauce, and dates to sweeten my recipe!
Vegan Lemon Drizzle Muffins:
If you're feeling a little extra (like me), then these vegan lemon poppy seed muffins are not complete without the lemon drizzle! I love these gluten-free lemon muffins as is, but If you have the ingredients I 10/10 recommend making this drizzle. It only takes 2 ingredients and adds such a wonderful texture to these plant based poppy seed muffins!
However if you are not a fan of coconut, and don't mind the consistency being a little thinner, you can always use plant based yogurt and lemon juice. It definitely won't solidify, and it may make the gluten-free vegan lemon poppy seed muffins a little moister, but you will definitely still end up with delicious lemon poppy seed vegan muffins!
Why these are The Best Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins:
Alright, let's just put aside the fact that these vegan lemon poppy seed muffins are super healthy. What else makes them the best vegan lemon poppy seed muffins? This should be obvious, but they are simply delicious! I served these muffins to non vegans, and they were in love. They said they would never have known if they were vegan, or healthy if they weren't familiar with my recipes and cooking. In my mind that's one of the best compliments a vegan can receive!
These lemon poppy seed vegan muffins are also the best, because they are simple to make. I'm talking one bowl, simple ingredients, and minimal steps simple! I am a huge fan of simple recipes, so any way to cut down the hands on time of a recipe, I'm in!
Last, but not least, these muffins store incredibly well in the fridge. I've shared how I was a huge meal prepper in college, and how I was a barista and woke up At 3:30am for my work shifts. With that said I loved breakfast recipes that I could have prepped and ready to go for work. I wish that I had developed this recipe back then, because it would have been the perfect healthy breakfast solution!
Ingredients for these Vegan Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins:
- Maple Crystals "VEGAN10" for $10 off your purchase!
- Almond flour
- Oat flour
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon juice
- Almond milk
- Baking soda
Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 1 muffin pan
For the vegan lemon poppy seed muffins:
- 2 ½ cups oat flour
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ½-3/4 cups applesauce
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoon water)
- 3 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 3 lemons the juice and zest
- ¼ cup maple crystals
For the lemon drizzle:
- 3 tablespoon coconut butter
- 2 teaspoon maple crystals
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350.
- Make your flax egg. In a large bowl sift together all dry ingredients. Add your wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour into your lined muffin pan and bake for 35 minutes.
- While the muffins are baking, make the drizzle. Combine ingredients and heat to melt the coconut butter (you can do this in the microwave).
- Allow muffins to cool 10 minutes before serving. Top with the glaze and extra lemon zest, enjoy!
These muffins are so good! Perfect taste, texture and healthy. We loved it.
wow these muffins are so freakishly good! i love the lemon and how moist it is
Love this veganized classic!! The fresh zest makes it a true showstopper and gives that extra special tough you don't get with the store-bought kind.
super tasty and pinned to make again~