These Lemon PoppySeed Overnight Oats are the perfect healthy meal prep for weekday mornings! This recipe is made with clean and simple ingredients and is high in protein.If you're looking for the perfect dessert for breakfast that isn't overly sweet, this is the recipe for you!
After seeing the success of my Lemon Poppy Seed Baked Oats recipe, I knew I needed to make a quick and easy overnight oats version of lemon poppy seed oatmeal.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe features several affiliate links, meaning I will earn a small commission if you purchase through these links.
- Ingredients For Lemon PoppySeed Overnight Oats:
- How To Make These Lemon Poppy Seed Overnight Oats:
- Lemon PoppySeed Ovenight Oats Variations:
- What You Need To Make This Recipe:
- How To Store These Lemon Poppyseed Overnight Oats:
- Top Tip:
- Frequently Asked Questions:
- Related Lemon Recipes:
- Lemon Poppy Seed Overnight Oats
- Food Safety
- Related Breakfast Recipes:
Ingredients For Lemon PoppySeed Overnight Oats:
This Lemon Poppyseed Overnight Oats recipe is the perfect breakfast because you probably already have all the ingredients you need on hand.
- Non-Dairy Milk - Any plant-based milk of choice will work. Use soy milk, coconut milk, or oat milk for creamier oats, or use almond milk for low-calorie oats.
- Lemon Juice - You can use either fresh squeezed lemon juice, or pre-made lemon juice for this recipe. I recommend using freshly squeezed lemon juice to avoid unnecessary preservatives.
- Vanilla Extract - I like to add a little vanilla extract to help tie all the flavors together.
- Pure Lemon Extract - I find it can be a bit tricky to achieve that perfect lemony flavor. I like to add a bit of pure lemon extract for the perfect authentic lemon flavor.
- Oats - Both rolled oats and quick oats will work perfectly for these Lemon Poppyseed Overnight Oats. My personal preference is rolled oats in overnight oats because they keep their structure better.
- Poppy Seeds - This oat recipe would not be complete without poppy seeds. Don't worry about over-doing it, you would have to eat an insane amount of poppy seeds to cause any issues.
- Lemon Zest - I love adding a bit of lemon zest to help boost the lemon flavor. The longer the oats sit, the stronger the flavor will be.
- PlantFusion Vanilla Inspire For Women - I firmly believe that PlantFusion makes the best plant based protein. The flavors and textures are fantastic, and all their products are made with nutrient-dense and clean ingredients. I love PlantFusion because they have various product lines that are targeted for specific needs because they know protein powder is not a one size fits all type of product. Recently I have been loving their Inspire for women line because it has been helping to balance my hormones. As always, my code: "NATURALVEGAN" gets you 25% off your PlantFusion purchase!
- Vegan Yogurt - You can top these lemon poppyseed oats with any kind of yogurt of your choice. I recommended using vegan coconut yogurt. You can also use greek yogurt.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How To Make These Lemon Poppy Seed Overnight Oats:
If you're not a morning person, these Lemon Poppy Seed Overnight Oats are the perfect breakfast for you. They only take 5-10 minutes to make and don't require any special equipment.
Begin by combining the dry ingredients together and mixing. I find the easiest way to do this is in a large bowl, especially if you are doubling, or tripling this recipe.
Add the wet ingredients in and mix until smooth. Make sure there are no clumps of protein powder or poppy seeds.
Add the mixture to a container or serving dish of choice. A mason jar will work perfectly. Place in the fridge and let rest overnight (or for at least 3 hours).
When you are ready to serve, top the overnight oats with vegan yogurt and extra poppyseed. Serve and enjoy!
Hint: I always recommend adding more liquid than you think you would need. Oatmeal absorbs more liquid than you would think. If you end up adding too much liquid, just added a little bit of oatmeal the next day. It will absorb quickly and you probably won't even be able to tell.
If you need to make a particular substitution to this recipe due to an allergy or preference, there are a couple of easy substitutions that work really well.
- Poppy Seeds - Although the poppy seed is a feature ingredient, they can be substituted if needed. I recommend using chia seeds. Chia seeds absorb a lot of liquid, so I recommend adding an additional ½ cup of liquid.
- Oats - Instead of oats, you can use just about any grain. I would recommend using quick barley (if you are not gluten-free), cooked quinoa, or cooked buckwheat.
Lemon PoppySeed Ovenight Oats Variations:
This Lemon Poppy Seed Overnight Oats recipe is great because there are so many flavor combinations that go great with it.
- Extra Sweet - Although the protein powder already adds sweetness to this recipe, you can add additional sweetness with a touch of maple syrup, or any other natural sweetener.
- Lemon Berry - Add a handful of fresh berries or any other fresh fruit to this oatmeal recipe for a flavor boost. Adding berries is also one of the easiest ways to add a lot of fiber to this recipe.
See my Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins recipe for an additional lemon poppyseed breakfast recipe!
What You Need To Make This Recipe:
Overnight oats are the best because they hardly require any equipment. All you need for this lemon poppy seed oatmeal recipe is:
- Mixing Bowl - Either a medium or a large mixing bowl will work perfectly. This helps to not spill oats everywhere when making this recipe.
- Mason Jars - Small mason jars are great for storing oats. You can also use nicer dishware if you want to make these oats extra special.
How To Store These Lemon Poppyseed Overnight Oats:
Overnight oats are one of my favorite things to meal prep for breakfast. They only take about 10 minutes to make, and they'll last you about 3-4 days in the fridge.
I recommend storing these Lemon Poppyseed Overnight Oats in an airtight container such as a mason jar. If left uncovered, they can dry out. To make sure that overnight oat flavor stays, you want to be sure that the oats aren't exposed.
You may need to add a splash of milk to these oats as the days pass. If you like them thicker, ignore this tip.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Overnight oats do not have to rest overnight. Although letting them sit overnight creates the best overnight oats, you can definitely get away with letting them sit for 3-4 hours.
Steel-cut oats are a less processed type of oat. This means they are slightly healthier. However, they do not work like rolled oats or quick oats and therefore I do not recommend using them for overnight oats. You could use them if you pre-cooked them, however, this would be very time-consuming and you would not achieve the same flavor or texture as other oats.
Related Lemon Recipes:
Looking for other lemon recipes like this? Try these:
If you try this Lemon Poppyseed Overnight Oats recipe, I’d really love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. I’d also really appreciate a recipe card rating! Thank you for supporting The All Natural Vegan!
Lemon Poppy Seed Overnight Oats
- 1 mixing bowl
- 2 cups Plant based milk of choice
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanila extract
- 1 teaspoon pure lemon extract
- ½ cup vegan yogurt
- Begin by combining the dry ingredients together and mixing. I find the easiest way to do this is in a large bowl, especially if you are doubling, or tripling this recipe.
- Add the wet ingredients in and mix until smooth. Make sure there are no clumps of protein powder or poppy seeds.
- Add the mixture to a container or serving dish of choice. A mason jar will work perfectly. Place in the fridge and let rest overnight (or for at least 3 hours).
- When you are ready to serve, top the overnight oats with vegan yogurt and extra poppyseed. Serve and enjoy!
NEW! 🌟Lemon Poppy Seed Overnight Oats 🌟 Happy Tuesday friends! I’ve got the perfect quick, easy, and healthy breakfast recipe for you guys today! These overnight oats are super flavorful and incredibly healthy thanks to @plantfusion Inspire For Women! I love this line of protein, because it tastes amazing, helps to balance hormones, improve digestion, boost metabolism, and increase energy. All PlantFusion products are: vegan, sugar-free, gluten-free, Non-GMO, and free of: soy, rice, eggs, nuts, fish, tree nuts, shellfish, artificial colors and flavors! As always my code: “NATURALVEGAN” gets you 25% off your @plantfusion purchase! (Link in bio) You can find this recipe and other delicious overnight oats recipe on my website: theallnaturalvegan.com! Enjoy 💕 #veganoatmeal #overnightoats #overnightoatmeal #oatmeal #oatmealrecipe #healthybreakfast #highprotein #highproteinbreakfast #healthyvegan #veganprotein #veganbreakfast #lemonpoppyseed #lemonrecipes #springrecipes #plantfusionambassador plantfusion@plantfusion♬ Gotta Good Feelin' - Pigeon John
- Wash hands thoroughly before touching food.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
Related Breakfast Recipes:
Looking for more delicious vegan breakfast recipes like this? Check out some of my other recipes!