These Dirty Rose Chai Cinnamon Rolls are the ultimate healthy, sweet, and delicious vegan breakfast recipe. They're easy to make and made with simple, clean ingredients, and loaded with superfoods!
Cinnamon rolls are a top 5 breakfast food for me (I mean I think I speak for us all?). For the longest time I thought they were impossible to make vegan and healthy.
I am so excited to share today's Dirty Rose Chai Cinnamon Rolls with you guys, because they are perfectly fluffy and sweet, while also being vegan and full of healthy ingredients. They're the perfect vegan breakfast to make when you have non vegan guest, or a mixed diet household!
- Ingredients For These Dirty Rose Chai Cinnamon Rolls:
- How To Make Chai Cinnamon Rolls
- Chai Cinnamon Roll Variations:
- How To Store These Chai Cinnamon Rolls:
- Top Tip
- Frequently Asked Questions:
- Related Vegan Breakfast Recipes:
- Dirty Rose Chai Cinnamon Rolls
- Drinks To Go With Chai Cinnamon Rolls:
- Food Safety
Ingredients For These Dirty Rose Chai Cinnamon Rolls:
This Dirty Rose Chai Cinnamon Roll recipe is great, because chances are you have most of the ingredients on hand, and you can easily get the perfect chai flavor thanks to Anima Mundi.
- For The Dough:
- Dry Active Yeast - This is what gives these chai cinnamon rolls the perfect fluff. It will take time for the rolls to rise, so just keep that in mind.
- Coconut Sugar - It's important to add some sort of sweetener to any dough that calls for yeast, because the yeast needs to feed off sugar to activate.
- Warm Water - Warm water is also important for yeast activation, because yeast thrives in warm temperatures. Make sure the water isn't too hot, because it will kill the yeast. It's best to have it warm enough you can stick your finger in it and it will be okay.
- Cashew Milk Based Vegan Butter - Any plant based butter will work. However many brands of vegan butter are made with highly processed oils. I always opt for one that is made from cashew milk and coconut oil (Miyoko's Creamery is my go-to).
- Soy Milk - I love using soy milk whenever I am baking, because it is thick and creamy. This results in moister baked goods.
- Salt - Helps to elevate the overall flavor.
- All Purpose Flour (lSee recipe card if using whole wheat) - Unfortunately whole wheat flour does not rise as much as all purpose. However you can use ½ and ½ for a fluffier and healthier cinnamon roll.
- For The Filling:
- Cashew Milk Based Vegan Butter - Again make sure you are using a healthy butter. A little goes a long way, so start slow and see how thin you can spread the butter.
- Coconut Sugar - I love using coconut sugar for cinnamon rolls, because it has a rich and deep flavor, and it is full of nutrients.
- Anima Mundi Dirty Rose Chai Collagen Booster - This product is a complete game changer. It's made with adaptogens, silica, calcium, and all sorts of herbs to help support a youthful glow. I seriously adore this product.
- Cinnamon - No cinnamon roll recipe is complete without a sprinkle of ground cinnamon!
- For The Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Vegan Cream Cheese - Make sure to use an oil-free vegan cream cheese. I always opt for Kite Hill, because I think it has the most accurate flavor, and it is oil-free, and whole foods plant based.
- Anima Mundi Rose Powder - For the perfect Valentine's Day twist, these chai cinnamon rolls feature rose powder for added flavor and color. Rose powder is also super nutritious. It can fight free radicals, reduce inflammation, reduce wrinkles, and purify the blood!
- Maple Syrup - Is the perfect plant based sweetener to help achieve a more spreadable frosting. You can also use date syrup, yacon syrup, or coconut nectar.
How To Make Chai Cinnamon Rolls
These Dirty Rose Chai Cinnamon Rolls are great, because they're easy to make, and the perfect recipe to make for groups of vegans and non vegans alike.
Begin by combining the water and the coconut sugar together in a large bowl. Mix until the coconut sugar has dissolved completely. Sprinkle the yeast on top and let sit for 15 minutes. You should see the yeast bubble and activate.
Melt the vegan butter and add to a bowl with the soy milk. Mix until smooth. Add the butter and milk mixture to the yeast mixture and mix until smooth.
Next, add the flour and salt and knead into a dough. Cover and let rise for 2 hours in a warm and moist location. I place mine in the oven with a pot of boiling water.
Once the dough has risen, roll out to a ¼ inch thick square. Add the coconut sugar and the collagen booster together in a small bowl.
Next, spread the softened butter onto the dough and coat with the dirty rose chai coconut sugar mix. Roll the dough up and cut with string, or a knife. Place in an 8x8 pan, cover with a cloth, and let rise for an hour.
Preheat the oven to 350, place the risen rolls into the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
While the rolls are baking, make the cream cheese frosting by combining all ingredients together and mixing until smooth. Cover the warm rolls with the cream cheese frosting and enjoy!
Hint: Warm temperatures are key to achieving the perfect rise for cinnamon rolls. If you keep your house cool, I'd recommend keeping the rolls in a tight area like a microwave or oven with warm water to heat the dough.
If you are looking to make these Dirty Rose Chai Cinnamon Rolls to fit a specific diet, or you don't have a particular ingredient on hand, there are plenty of ingredients you can still use.
- Sugar - if you're looking to make these cinnamon rolls without coconut sugar for whatever reason, you can sub out the coconut sugar with Maple Crystals (one of my favorite plant based sweeteners (and you can use my code "VEGAN10" for $10 off)), pure cane brown sugar, or even date sugar!
- Gluten-Free - making gluten-free cinnamon rolls can be a struggle! They're never fluffy enough, or way too gooey. I recommend using King Arthur's gluten-free flour! You may need to play around with the measurements a bit, but I always have luck with this flour.
- Oil-Free - These Chai Cinnamon Rolls can be made oil-free, however they won't be as perfect. It's hard to achieve that classic gooey cinnamon sugar center without oil. However if you use soft coconut butter, you will get close.
Chai Cinnamon Roll Variations:
These Dirty Rose Chai Cinnamon Rolls are already a fun variation on regular cinnamon rolls. However thanks to Anima Mundi's excellent variety of products, there are many ways to enjoy these rolls!
- Chocolate - You can use Anima Mundi's Adaptogenic Powder with 7 Medicinal Mushrooms and Cacao for a chocolate and superfood packed cinnamon roll.
- Golden Milk- add Anima Mundi's Golden Moon Milk for a glowing cinnamon roll. These vibrant rolls are perfect for supporting relaxation and fighting inflammation!
- Rainbow - Feel free to replace the rose powder with butterfly pea powder for a vibrant blue frosting. This is great if you're making the rolls for kids.
If you're interested in a high protein version, be sure to check out my: Vegan Protein Cinnamon Rolls!
More Anima Mundi Recipes:
These Dirty Rose Chai Cinnamon Rolls are perfect, because they don't require any crazy equipment. All you need is a couple bowls, a rolling pin, and an 8 x 8 baking dish.
As always, if you want direct links to any of the equipment I use ( and recommend) head to my Amazon Storefront!
How To Store These Chai Cinnamon Rolls:
Storing vegan breakfast recipes can be quite difficult, especially when they're best enjoyed warm. However these Chai Cinnamon rolls can still be enjoyed as leftovers, and they're just as delicious!
I recommend storing them in air-tight glass containers. It's easy for baked goods to dry out quickly in the refrigerator if not stored right. Therefore to ensure these rolls stay nice and moist, I recommend storing them in an air-tight container.
Whenever you are ready to reheat them, place them on an oven safe dish and bake at 300 for about 15 minutes. Keep in mind that the rose cream cheese glaze will already be on the roll, and it won't melt completely.
If you plan on eating these rolls throughout the week, I would recommend storing the cream cheese frosting separately and spreading it fresh on top of each roll.
It's easy to let yeast based doughs over rise. Therefore when the Cinnamon roll dough has doubled in size, it is ready to roll out and bake. If the dough rises too long, it will have a yeasty flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions:
These Chai Cinnamon Rolls are great, because they're full of flavor. If you love the taste of a classic cinnamon roll, then you will absolutely love the taste of these rolls. They still have that classic cinnamon flavor, but with an extra kick on top!
Making cinnamon rolls with plant based ingredients can be tricky. It's often hard to achieve the proper fluffy texture. However it is not impossible. The key to making fluffy vegan cinnamon rolls is in the soy milk and the vegan butter. This adds healthy fat to the dough, which when baked adds fluffiness and moistness to the roll.
Related Vegan Breakfast Recipes:
Looking for more plant based breakfast recipes like this? Try these:
Dirty Rose Chai Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 8x8 baking pan
For The Dough:
- 1 packet or 2 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ¼ cup warm water
- 6 tablespoon cashew milk based vegan butter
- 1 ¼ cup soy milk
- Pinch of salt
- 3 ¼ cups all purpose flour leave out the ¼ cup if using whole wheat, can sub 1 : 1 if using most gluten-free flour blends
For The Filling:
- 4 tablespoon cashew milk based vegan butter softened
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon Anima Mundi Dirty Rose Chai Collagen Booster
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For The Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon Anima Mundi rose powder
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Begin by combining the water and the coconut sugar together in a large bowl. Mix until the coconut sugar has dissolved. Sprinkle the yeast on top and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Melt the vegan butter and add to a bowl with the soy milk. Mix until smooth.
- Add the butter and milk mixture to the yeast mixture and mix until smooth. Add the flour and salt and knead into a dough. Cover and let rise for 2 hours.
- Once the dough has risen, roll out to a ¼ inch thick square.
- Add the coconut sugar and the collagen booster together in a small bowl.
- Spread the softened butter onto the dough and coat with the dirty rose chai coconut sugar mix.
- Roll the dough up and cut with string, or a knife.
- Place in an 8x8 pan, cover with a cloth, and let rise for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350, place the risen rolls into the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Make the cream cheese frosting by combining all ingredients together and mixing until smooth.
- Cover the warm rolls with the cream cheese frosting and enjoy!
Drinks To Go With Chai Cinnamon Rolls:
These are my favorite cold pressed juices to serve with these Dirty Rose Chai Cinnamon Rolls:
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
What a great recipe! I made these dirty rose chai cinnamon rolls for a brunch and everyone was raving about them ... thanks for the great recipe!
Excellent flavor and texture. Directions were easy to follow too. This recipe is a keeper!
I adore cinnamon buns and now I can eat them and not feel sinful. Love the chai flavouring too. Fabulous recipe, thank you.
This is a fantastic recipe! So original!
So flavorful and delicious. I love this healthier version.