Why add sweet potatoes to this paleo brownie recipe?
This was my initial thought when I heard about this. However after I gave it a bit of thought I realized that it is absolutely genius! Why? Well, sweet potatoes are both naturally sweet and naturally moist, so by adding them to brownies you are increasing the natural sweetness while also increasing the moistness (aka super fudgy brownie!). Since it could do that I knew that I wanted to keep this recipe as simple as possible. That's why I went with making this a paleo sweet potato brownie recipe. I am not paleo, but my Dad was paleo for about 2 years growing up. While doing paleo he kept his weight and health in check, so I definitely think that there are some benefits to eating paleo recipes here and there (that is, as long as they're vegan too).
Will this recipe have a strong sweet potato flavor?
Nope! You may be able to taste the sweet potato a little if you're really sensitive to flavors, but most people won't even be able to notice! They will just taste the delicious chocolate brownie. However if you're really not a fan of regular sweet potatoes, you can try using Japanese sweet potatoes (I love doing this) because they have a sweeter taste and more mild flavor. I swear Japanese sweet potatoes are one of the most underrated foods on the planet. Either way I would just encourage you to go out to Whole Foods, or any health foods store to try them out!
If sweet potato really isn't your jam, but you've made it this far, I would suggest you try out some of my other plant based brownie recipes:
Brownies are a favorite of mine, so you can always expect to see more recipe here at Theallnaturalvegan.com. I love creating unique brownie recipes. Let's face it: if you're looking for a brownie recipe online, you're probably looking for something unique.
Ingredients for these paleo sweet potato brownies:
- Sweet potatoes
- Cacao powder
- Maple Crystals - use code "VEGAN10"
- Vanilla Extract
- Almond Butter
- Coconut flour
- Baking soda
- Plant based chocolate chips
Paleo Sweet Potato Brownie
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ⅓ cup Almond butter make sure it is oil-free and just 100% almonds
- 2 flax eggs 1 tablespoon flax to 2 tablespoon water = 1 flax egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup maple crystals
- ½ cup plant based chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Begin by steaming/baking/pressure cooking your sweet potato/es until soft. Mash.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Prepare your flax eggs if you have not already done so. Add all dry ingredients together in a bowl and mix together.
- Add the mashed sweet potato, almond butter, and vanilla extract to the bowl. Mix and add chocolate chips.
- Place batter in a brownie dish and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Once done allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and enjoy!
Leave a Reply