Calling all my sushi lovers for this recipe! I had so much fun creating this recipe, and so much fun eating it too! Sushi is one of those foods I didn't start liking until I went vegan, because I have always hated fish (like seriously the most disgusting thing ever to me). However since going vegan, it has quickly become a favorite. There are so many ways to make vegan sushi, but this sweet potato sushi is something special!
Is sushi difficult to make?
Not at all! There was a bit of a learning curve when I first tried to make it, because I thought you spread the rice on the mat not the seaweed. Clearly I was not thinking straight. After that initial hiccup my sushi making has been smooth sailing! I am not sure how difficult it is to make without a sushi kit, but there are so many sushi making kits like this one that are super affordable and totally worth it!
Is this Sweet Potato Sushi healthy?
Sure is! This sweet potato sushi recipe is made using simple plant based ingredients so it is super healthy! I love making this recipe when I am craving something healthy and filling. Since this sushi recipe is made with vegetables and whole grains it is not only full of nutrients, but it'll leave you full and satiated for hours! I used purple sweet potatoes to give this recipe the ultimate antioxidant boost. You can find purple sweet potatoes at most grocery stores, but if you can't, you can totally use regular sweet potatoes. It will taste almost the exact same. If you love sweet potatoes, but don't like seaweed, you can always try my Sweet Potato Spring Rolls.
Ingredients for this Sweet Potato Sushi:
- Purple sweet potatoes
- Sushi rice
- Coconut aminos
Sweet Potato Sushi
For the sushi roll:
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 1 sheets nori
- 1 purple sweet potato can use regular if purple is not available near you.
- 3 carrots
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 avocado
To make the sushi rice:
- Add the rice and doubled amount of water to your pressure cooker/rice cooker along with the rice vinegar. As soon as rice is finished place in the fridge/freezer to cool. Preheat oven to 400.
- Julienne your sweet potato and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Julienne your cucumber and carrot, and thinly slice your avocado.
- To make sushi roll simply spread the rice over the nori, add carrots, cucumber, avocado and cucumber. Roll using your sushi roller and place in the fridge to cool while you make the sauce.
- To make the sauce simply whisk all sauce ingredients together.
- To serve cut slices starting in the middle and working to the edges. Serve and enjoy!