Anyone looking for the perfect vegan brunch this Sunday? Don’t worry I got you. The best part is that this plant based biscuits and gravy recipe is made using only the best ingredients! This healthy savory vegan breakfast recipe is perfect for a healthy hearty breakfast.
The only thing this plant based biscuits and gravy recipe is not free of is gluten, however it only uses 100% whole wheat flour, so unless you have celiac this is perfect for you! I am sure that the biscuits can easily be made gluten free with gluten-free flour. However the vegan sausage is made with seitan (aka vital wheat gluten) so if you avoid gluten I would suggest using textured vegetable protein (TVP) in the place of the homemade vegan sausage. I am planning to come back to this recipe and make a gluten-free version, so make sure that you subscribe to my email list to be the first to know about that (I promise to never spam!)
How to make healthy biscuits and gravy:
Biscuits and gravy may be one of the most unhealthy dishes traditionally. I mean, it’s buttery white flour covered in creamy high fat dairy, and packed full of meat. It does not pass the vibe check. This recipe on the other hand is the complete opposite. This plant based biscuits and gravy recipe is full of healthy vegetables and free of dairy, meat, and oil! It was a little bit of a learning experience making biscuits without butter (vegan butter), but I think I finally got it down! I am so happy to finally share this recipe with you guys!
Not only did I want this plant based biscuits and gravy recipe to be free of all those ingredients, but I also wanted it to be full of healthy ones too! I added a variety of vegetables and spices to this recipe to add flavor and nutrients. If you want to make this recipe low-fat as well, you totally can. Just sub out the full fat coconut milk in the gravy recipe for lite, and you will significantly decrease the fat content of the recipe!
Is there a way to speed this recipe up?
There is, there’s a couple actually. First, you could use store bought vegan sausage instead of making it for yourself. I honestly love store bought vegan sausages, it’s just important to make sure you’re buying one that is made from whole foods and not overly processed synthetic ones. My personal favorite way to make a quick vegan sausage is using texture vegetable protein(TVP). I recently discovered TVP and it has been a game changer. It’s made from Soy and that’s it! Some of my favorite recipes that use TVP are:
Another way to speed this recipe up is by pressure cooking the gravy. I love my Ninja Foodi, and you could use it, or an Instantpot for a quicker plant based gravy.
Ingredients for this Plant Based Biscuits and Gravy Recipe:
- Coconut milk
- Whole wheat flour
- Bell pepper
- Nutritional yeast
- Vital wheat gluten
- Cacao powder
- Italian seasoning
- Tapioca flour
- Vegetable broth
- Liquid aminos
- Baking powder
Plant Based Biscuits and Gravy
For the oil-free biscuits:
For the vegan sausage:
- Begin by preheating your oven to 425.
- In a large bowl combine all biscuit ingredients (start with dry, mix, and then add wet ingredients). Form into a ball. Once you get a solid dough, start to stretch and fold your biscuits, about 10 times. Roll dough out and cut out biscuits using the top of a cup.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- While biscuits are cooking dice all your vegetables. Add to a sauté pan with vegetable broth and cook until vegetables are soft. Once soft add remaining gravy ingredients.
- To make the vegan sausage simply sift dry ingredients together, and add the water. Form into a ball and then pull apart pieces. These can be super messy, because they are supposed to resemble ground sausage. Add to the gravy and cook on medium for 10 minutes.
- To serve, break the biscuit in half and pour gravy over, enjoy!