Why tempeh instead of tofu?
Tempeh is a food that has gained a lot of recognition recently, and for good reason! Tempeh is a soy-based product that is made by fermenting soy beans (after they have been cooked). Therefore tempeh is a superfood, because it contains fermented ingredients. Fermented foods are great for gut health. This is why for recipes like this tempeh sandwich I try to use tempeh instead of tofu, because it contains fermented ingredients. I do love using tofu (honestly it is one of my favorite foods). Some of my favorite tofu recipes that I have created are:
I do have many tempeh recipes that I absolutely adore. I love tempeh for sandwich recipes such as this one, because it keeps its form better than tofu. Tempeh’s texture is very different than tofu’s. It is better at crisping up than tofu. If you prefer the flavor of tofu over tempeh, you can always use a tofu press to firm up tofu. My favorite tempeh recipes include:
How do you marinade this tempeh sandwich?
I always hear people say that tofu and tempeh taste bland, and yes, if ate them raw they would taste bland. However, if you marinade the tempeh/tofu like you do in this recipe, it absorbs the flavor very well. Unlike meat, these plant based protein options do not have to marinate for long. They absorb the flavors very quickly. That is why I am obsessed with this tempeh recipe, because it doesn’t need to marinate for a long time at all, so it makes for a quick and easy vegan recipe! It is super easy to marinade, all you have to do is place it in a shallow bowl, or ziplock bag for about 15 minutes, and it is ready to go!
Ingredients for this Tempeh Sandwich:
- Vegan cream cheese
- Spring Mix
- Balsamic vinegar
- Date syrup
Date Balsamic Tempeh Sandwich
- 1 package tempeh
- 2 carrots
- 1 english cucumber
- 1 tomato
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 shallot (minced)
- 2 tbsp date syrup
- 1 handful spring mix
- 2 tbsp vegan cream cheese my favorite is Kite Hill
- 4 slices whole wheat or gluten-free bread
- Add date syrup, balsamic vinegar, minced shallot, and 2 tbsp water together in a shallow bowl. Cut your tempeh in half and place in the bowl to marinate. Alternatively you can place in a plastic bad.
- While the tempeh is marinating, prepare your other vegetables. Peel the carrots, cut the cucumber and tomato.
- Add the marinated tempeh and marinade to a sauté pan and cook for about 15 minutes. The marinade should be absorbed by the tempeh. Remove from heat.
- Toast the bread. Once toasted add the vegan cream cheese and assemble your other vegetables onto the sandwich along with the cooked tempeh. Serve and enjoy!