This Vegan Chocolate Protein Ice Cream Recipe is the ultimate creamy, delicious, and healthy treat! It's made with clean and simple ingredients and is super easy to make. This recipe can be made with a traditional ice cream maker, a ninja creami machine, or a high-speed blender!
Since you guys were such big fans of my popular ice cream recipes like my Carrot Cake Ice Cream, or my Samoa Ice Cream, I knew it was time to create another delicious ice cream recipe with added protein!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe features several affiliate links, meaning I will earn a small commission if you purchase through these links.
- Chocolate Protein Ice Cream Ingredients:
- How To Make This Protein Ice Cream Recipe:
- Easy Substitutions:
- Vegan Protein Ice Cream Variations:
- What You'll Need To Make This Protein Ice Cream Recipe:
- How To Store Protein Ice Cream:
- Top Tip
- Frequently Asked Questions:
- Related Vegan Ice Cream Recipes:
- Vegan Chocolate Protein Ice Cream
- Food Safety
- More Vegan Recipes Using PlantFusion Inspire For Women:
Chocolate Protein Ice Cream Ingredients:
This vegan protein ice cream recipe is the perfect homemade healthy treat. It's made with clean and simple ingredients, and free of artificial preservatives and flavors commonly found in pre-made ice creams.
- Raw Cashews - The base of this homemade protein ice cream recipe is made with whole foods plant-based ingredients like raw cashews. It's super important to use raw cashews and not roasted cashews. Roasted cashews will not get as soft, and they have a much different flavor. I always buy mine in bulk from Wilderness Poets ("NATURALVEGAN" for $10 off).
- Medjool Dates - The best way to add natural sweetness to this chocolate ice cream is by using Medjool dates. They add natural sweetness, fiber, vitamins, and minerals to this high-protein ice cream. Any date variety will work fine, but I recommend Medjool dates because they are so soft and creamy.
- Lite Coconut Milk - The other key ingredient for the base of this ice cream recipe is coconut milk. I love using coconut milk for all my vegan ice cream recipes because it is creamy, delicious, and healthy. I typically use full-fat coconut milk, however since this is a high-protein dessert and a weight loss-friendly dessert, I wanted to use lite coconut milk for a low-fat option. When looking for coconut milk at the store, opt for one that has guar gum. This helps to keep the ice cream from separating and will encourage a creamy texture.
- Vanilla Extract - When making a homemade ice cream recipe, it's essential to use an alcohol-infused extract. The alcohol will keep the ice cream from freezing into a solid block, and will, of course, add flavor.
- PlantFusion Inspire For Women Chocolate Protein Powder - It's no secret that I absolutely love PlantFusion protein powder, and the Inspire for Women line is one of my favorites. The flavor is unmatched by any plant-based protein powder, it has the perfect creamy texture, and it is packed full of nutritious and wholesome ingredients. The Inspire for Women line features ingredients like biotin for nails and hair, ashwagandha and pomegranate for hormonal balance, MCT's L-Lysine for energy and metabolism, and digestive enzymes to prevent bloating. Any line of PlantFusion will work for this recipe, however, this is my go-to. As always, my code; "NATURALVEGAN" will get you 25% off your purchase!
- Tapioca Syrup (optional) - This recipe can absolutely be made without this ingredient. However, if you make homemade ice cream recipes frequently, I recommend purchasing some to add to your homemade ice cream recipes. Tapioca syrup helps to keep vegan ice cream smooth and creamy, and not freeze into a solid block.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How To Make This Protein Ice Cream Recipe:
This homemade protein ice cream is my current favorite healthy treat to make, because it's so easy to make, and it tastes just like traditional ice cream. This recipe can be made with a regular ice cream maker (recommended), a ninja creami machine, or a high-speed blender for a no-churn option.
1. Begin by combining the Medjool dates and raw cashews together in a bowl with 1 ¼ cups of filtered water. Place in the fridge to soak for at least 4 hours, overnight is best. Ensure that your ice cream bowl is in the freezer at this point (if using).
2. Once the cashews and dates are soft, add them along with the water to a high-speed blender. Add the remaining ingredients to the blender and blend on high until silky smooth.
3. Pour the mixture into the ice cream machine and churn for 25-30 minutes (churning time may vary by machine0. If using a ninja creami, add the mixture to the cup and freeze overnight. The next day run the machine adding unsweetened almond milk as needed to blend. If you plan to make this healthy ice cream recipe using a blender, pour the base into ice cream molds, freeze overnight, then add to the blender with unsweetened almond milk and blend until a creamy texture has been achieved.
4. You can either enjoy the protein ice cream immediately with a soft serve consistency or add it to an ice cream container and freeze it again. Scoop with an ice cream scoop and enjoy!
Hint: Blend the mixture for at least a full minute on high. The mixture should be velvety and there should be no bumps.
There are plenty of healthy substitutions that can be made to this protein ice cream recipe.
- Sweetener - If you want/need to substitute out dates for whatever reason, there are a couple of sugar substitutes that'll work. The first is maple syrup. This will keep the recipe naturally sweetened and refined sugar-free. Use ½ the amount called for if using maple syrup. You can also use honey, date syrup, etc. You can also use raisins as a 1:1 substitute for dates. They will need to be soaked as well.
- Nuts - If you want to make this recipe nut-free, you can use frozen bananas instead of cashews, and oat milk instead of coconut milk. This will make it more of a nice cream rather than a traditional ice cream. This is a great way to make low calorie ice creams. It's important to use frozen bananas instead of fresh, ones because fresh ones will not achieve the same creamy and thick banana ice cream.
Vegan Protein Ice Cream Variations:
This vegan protein ice cream is such a good base ice cream recipe because there are plenty of easy and fun variations that can be made to it to make even more delicious recipes!
- Vanilla - The most obvious variation that can be made to this protein powder ice cream is to use vanilla protein powder instead of chocolate protein powder to make vanilla protein ice cream. This is a simple substitution that won't require any other ingredients to be switched out.
- Cookies And Cream - You can also use PlantFusion's Cookies and Cream protein powder for another flavored protein powder variation. I like to do this and then add chopped-up cookies to the base. You can pretty much use whatever flavor your favorite protein powder is for this recipe.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter - You can add swirls of peanut butter to this ice cream, or top it with peanut butter when serving. Peanut butter is full of protein and healthy fats which make it the perfect addition to this recipe. You can also use almond butter or any other nut butter.
What You'll Need To Make This Protein Ice Cream Recipe:
Equipment can always impact how a recipe turns out. Although this high-protein ice cream can be made a couple of different ways, I recommend making it with the equipment listed.
- Mixing Bowl - You will need a medium bowl to soak the dates and cashews in.
- High-Speed Blender - Although any blender will work for this recipe, I strongly recommend using a high-speed blender like a Vitamix. This will result in an ice cream with the perfect creamy texture.
- Ice Cream Machine - A regular ice cream machine is the perfect appliance to make this recipe with. You can use a ninja creami machine, however, it will take much longer to make using one, and you won't be able to make as much at one time.
- Ice Cream Pint Container - You will need something to store this protein ice cream in, and these containers are great for preventing freezer burn.
How To Store Protein Ice Cream:
Homemade ice cream is great, because it tastes just as good as traditional ice cream, and it has a great shelf life.
If you are only planning on freezing this ice cream for a day or two, you can use a loaf pan and plastic wrap and it'll be perfectly fine. However, if you plan on storing this protein. ice cream longer than that, I recommend using an airtight container or any freezer-safe container.
If stored properly, this protein ice cream recipe will keep for up to 3 months.
Make sure to soak the cashews for enough time. You should be able to bite into them with no snap.
Frequently Asked Questions:
To determine if protein ice cream is healthy, it's important to look at all of the ingredients, and not just the protein content. For example, this protein ice cream recipe is healthy because it is made with wholesome ingredients like cashews and dates rather than artificial sweeteners and flavors.
The amount of protein varies by the protein ice cream recipe. This ice cream features 10 grams of protein per serving and is only 200 calories!
Related Vegan Ice Cream Recipes:
Looking for other healthy vegan ice cream recipes like this? Try these:
If you try this Vegan Chocolate Protein Ice Cream recipe, I’d really love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. I’d also really appreciate a recipe card rating! Thank you for supporting The All Natural Vegan!
Vegan Chocolate Protein Ice Cream
- Begin by combining the Medjool dates and raw cashews together in a bowl with 1 ½ cups of filtered water. Place in the fridge to soak for at least 4 hours, overnight is best. Ensure that your ice cream bowl is in the freezer at this point (if using).
- Once the cashews and dates are soft, add them along with the water to a high-speed blender. Add the remaining ingredients to the blender and blend on high until silky smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the ice cream machine and churn for 25-30 minutes (churning time may vary by machine0. If using a ninja creami, add the mixture to the cup and freeze overnight. The next day run the machine adding unsweetened almond milk as needed to blend. If you plan to make this healthy ice cream recipe using a blender, pour the base into ice cream molds, freeze overnight, then add to the blender with unsweetened almond milk and blend until a creamy texture has been achieved.
- You can either enjoy the protein ice cream immediately with a soft serve consistency or add it to an ice cream container and freeze it again. Scoop with an ice cream scoop and enjoy!
NEW! 🌟Chocolate Protein Ice Cream 🌟 Happy Monday friends! I’ve got the perfect healthy and easy high protein dessert recipe for you guys using my favorite vegan protein powder @plantfusion ! This homemade ice cream is smooth, creamy, sweet, and filling thanks to all the protein and fiber. This recipe is made with healthy Whole Foods plant based ingredients, and hormone balancing protein powder from PlantFusion! I love this protein powder because it’s packed full of metabolism increasing and hormone supporting natural ingredients. As always my code “NATURALVEGAN” gets you 25% off your purchase at @plantfusion ! This recipe is vegan, oil-free, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free! You can find this recipe on my website: theallnaturalvegan.com, or search protein ice cream the all natural vegan on google and it’ll pop right up! Enjoy 💕 #proteinicecream #icecream #icecreamrecipe #homemadeicecream #homemadeicecreams #icecreamlover #veganprotein #veganproteins #proteinpowder #proteinrecipes #plantfusion #theallnaturalvegan #healthydessert #highproteindessert #highproteinvegan @PlantFusion♬ Hey Lover - The Daughters Of Eve
It's essential to always practice food safety.
- Do not stick foreign objects into a plugged-in ice cream machine.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Wash hands before preparing food.
More Vegan Recipes Using PlantFusion Inspire For Women:
Looking for more recipes using PlantFusion Inspire for Women: