These Gluten Free Vegan Graham Crackers are the ultimate healthy twist on traditional graham crackers. These crackers have all the flavor and crunch you know and love, and it is made with clean and simple ingredients!
Graham crackers are the cracker of the summer! I have so many fond memories of s'mores and graham cracker treats as a kid. I wanted to create this recipe to be able to enjoy all those classic foods in a healthier way that is also friendly to anyone with a gluten intolerance.
These homemade gluten-free graham crackers will take you back to your childhood. They have the perfect crispy crack, and they're just the right amount of sweetness. They're perfect for s'mores, making a gluten-free graham cracker crust, or just for snacking!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe features several affiliate links, meaning I will earn a small commission if you purchase through these links.
- Ingredient For This Vegan Graham Cracker Recipe:
- How To Make These Vegan Gluten Free Graham Crackers:
- Substitutions For These Gluten Free Graham Crackers:
- Gluten Free Graham Crackers Variations:
- What You Will Need To Make This Vegan Graham Cracker Recipe:
- How To Properly Store This Gluten Free Graham Cracker Recipe:
- Top Tip
- Frequently Asked Questions:
- Related Healthy Vegan Dessert Recipes:
- Gluten Free Vegan Graham Crackers
- Food Safety
- More Recipes That Use Maple Crystals:
Ingredient For This Vegan Graham Cracker Recipe:
These homemade graham crackers are the perfect recipe to make large batches of and store for whenever you need them. The simple ingredients are the perfect replacement for the highly processed pre-made graham crackers you find at grocery stores.
- Maple Crystals - These are one of my favorite plant-based sweeteners ever. Maple crystals are crystalized maple syrup, therefore they are packed full of vitamins and minerals. They work just like sugar, yet they are even sweeter than cane sugar, therefore a little goes a long way. Even though they are sweeter than sugar, they have a lower glycemic index, so they are very blood sugar-friendly. I always get mine in bulk from Wilderness Poets. You can use my code: "NATURALVEGAN" for $10 off your purchase!
- Oat Flour - Please don't buy oat flour! Make your own by simply blending rolled or quick oats (make sure they are certified gluten-free) in the blender until smooth. It should only take about 30 seconds until they are turned into perfect oat flour.
- Cassava Flour - Although it is not a super common flour, cassava flour is one of my favorite gluten-free flour to use in baking. It has a slightly sweet taste that goes well with pretty much everything. It doesn't work like all-purpose flour, however, it is great for crackers, crusts, and bars, because it does not rise much. This is perfect for making crunchy crackers.
- Cinnamon (optional) - Although this ingredient is optional for this vegan graham cracker recipe, I recommend adding a hint of cinnamon. It helps deepen the flavor and gives the recipe a slightly honey flavor.
- Sea Salt - The smallest bit of sea salt can elevate a recipe so much.
- Baking Soda - Since these vegan graham crackers don't need to rise, and only to crisp up, baking soda is the perfect ingredient to use.
- Applesauce - There are two ingredients I absolutely love to use in oil-free baking, and they are both featured in this recipe. One of them is applesauce. Applesauce is the perfect oil replacement in vegan baking because it adds moistness and sweetness and it's low in calories.
- Coconut Butter - My favorite oil-free substitute is coconut butter. Coconut butter helps ingredients melt down and bake evenly (I love using it in my cookie recipes!). It's better than oil because it adds fiber, which helps to make food more nutritious and filling.
- Water - A little bit of water helps to hold all the ingredients together and achieve the perfect graham cracker.
- Vanilla Extract - No baked good is complete without vanilla! I always opt for Mexican vanilla, because it has a much deeper flavor.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How To Make These Vegan Gluten Free Graham Crackers:
These Vegan Graham Crackers may seem a bit tedious, but I promise this is an extremely easy recipe to make, and you'll never want to use store-bought graham crackers again!
1. Begin by sifting all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix until evenly combined.
2. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and mix until a dough forms. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. Dust some cassava flour or tapioca starch on a smooth surface and roll out the dough until about ¼ inch thick.
4. Cut into rectangle squares using a pizza cutter. Press a sharp knife lightly into the rectangles to make 4 equal-sized smaller rectangles. Do not press too hard and cut the dough, you just want to make an indention.
5. Press holes into the crackers with a fork. Transfer the crackers onto a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Once the gluten-free graham crackers are golden brown, remove them from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack. They will need to cool completely to achieve the super satisfying crunch that traditional graham crackers have.
Hint: Do not forget to let these crackers rest and cool. Just like my Vegan Gluten-Free Samoas, this Vegan Graham Cracker recipe needs to cool to achieve that perfect crunch!
Substitutions For These Gluten Free Graham Crackers:
Some of the ingredients in gluten-free recipes can be a bit tricky to find in grocery stores, or you may have to order them online. Even though I strongly recommend making this recipe as-is, there are substitutions that can be made if needed.
- Maple Crystals - I love using maple crystals as a natural sweetener. However, if you don't have time to wait for them to come in the mail, there are substitutions that can be made. You can use equal amounts of dark brown sugar, or coconut sugar as a 1:1 substitute. The coconut sugar will darken the crackers, but they will still taste very similar.
- Coconut Butter - If you can't get your hands on coconut butter, you can also use raw cashew butter, sunflower butter, or coconut oil. Use half the amount called for if using coconut oil.
- Flour - If you do not have celiac disease or a gluten allergy, you can use whole wheat flour. If you need to use other gluten-free flour, you can use brown rice flour, almond flour, or white rice flour in place of cassava flour, and sorghum flour in place of oat flour. You can also use a gluten-free flour blend in place of all the flour.
Gluten Free Graham Crackers Variations:
This is such a great recipe because there are plenty of fun ways to spice it up.
- Deluxe - Add nuts, seeds, or dairy-free chocolate chips for loaded dairy-free graham crackers.
- Spices - If you're looking for ways to add more flavor to this vegan graham cracker recipe, you can add all kinds of spices. I love adding cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and even cloves for a great flavor.
What You Will Need To Make This Vegan Graham Cracker Recipe:
Equipment can have a big impact on how a recipe turns out. This Gluten Free Graham Cracker recipe does not require any crazy equipment. However, here's a list of the equipment I used.
- Large Bowl - You will need a large mixing bowl to make the dough for these gluten free graham crackers. I love using glass mixing bowls because I find that they're much easier to clean!
- Rolling Pin - Any plastic, metal, or wooden rolling pin will work fantastically for this recipe. I've had this fondant roller for over 10 years, and I absolutely love it!
- Knife - Any sharp knife will work, I recommend using a chef knife, because you'll be able to cut longer sections.
- Fork - To poke holes in the graham cracker. This will allow it not to puff up too much, and bake evenly.
- Baking Sheet - Any baking sheet will work, however, I recommend baking on a light metal baking sheet. Light-colored metal baking sheets don't heat as much, and therefore your baked goods won't burn on the bottom.
How To Properly Store This Gluten Free Graham Cracker Recipe:
Storing these delicious gluten-free graham crackers can be a bit tricky. They can either dry out or lose their crunch quite quickly. I recommend storing them in a plastic bag with the air sucked out of them on the counter, or in an airtight container.
Do not place them in the fridge, or freezer. This will cause them to lose their crunch. Since these are vegan graham crackers, they will not go bad if they sit on the counter. However, I do not recommend letting them sit out in a sealed bag for more than a week.
Allow the gluten free graham crackers to cool completely before serving. They will not be crispy right out of the oven. They will need time to chill. I recommend waiting about 20 minutes before eating.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Honey is a common ingredient in graham crackers. However honey is a bit of a grey area regarding veganism. Technically honey is not vegan. It comes from bees and therefore is not a vegan sweetener. It is still full of health benefits and many vegans and people following a plant-based diet still eat it. Luckily for vegans, these graham crackers are super easy to veganize!
One of the most common pairings for this vegan graham cracker recipe is s'mores. However, if you are looking to make vegan s'mores, it's super important that you use specific marshmallows because not all marshmallows are vegan. My go-to vegan marshmallow brand is Dandies!
Related Healthy Vegan Dessert Recipes:
Looking for other healthy vegan dessert recipes like this? Try these:
If you try this Gluten Free Vegan Graham Cracker recipe, I’d really love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. I’d also really appreciate a recipe card rating! Thank you for supporting The All Natural Vegan!
Gluten Free Vegan Graham Crackers
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup coconut butter *see note
- Begin by sifting all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix until evenly combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and mix until a dough forms. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Dust some cassava flour or tapioca starch on a smooth surface and roll out the dough until about ¼ inch thick.
- Cut into rectangle squares using a pizza cutter. Press a sharp knife lightly into the rectangles to make 4 equal-sized smaller rectangles. Do not press too hard and cut the dough, you just want to make an indention.
- Press holes into the crackers with a fork. Transfer the crackers onto a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Once the gluten-free graham crackers are golden brown, remove them from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack. They will need to cool completely to achieve the super satisfying crunch that traditional graham crackers have.
- Do not grab hot pans/dishes without oven mitts
- Don't leave uncooked food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
More Recipes That Use Maple Crystals:
Looking for more recipes to make using maple crystals? Try some of the other delicious recipes on my website!