I am so excited to share the Best Mint Chocolate Brownies with you guys today! These brownies are rich and fudgy, with the perfect healthy mint frosting, and chocolate ganache topping. This recipe is guaranteed to be a favorite amongst all!
What Makes These Brownies The Best Mint Chocolate Brownies?
These Vegan Mint Chocolate Brownies are the best for a couple reasons. First and foremost, they are absolutely delicious. The rich chocolate and the creamy mint pair perfectly together to give you the most decadent brownie. These brownies are perfect for vegans and no vegans alike!
Second, these brownies are super healthy! They're made with 100% whole foods plant based ingredients. This means they are fiber rich, which helps to avoid blood sugar spikes, and fill you up quicker. These Mint Chocolate Brownies are:
- REFINED SUGAR-FREE
Last, but not least they are super easy to make! Don't let the ingredient list scare you, I promise this recipe is perfect for bakers of all levels!
Ingredients for the Best mint chocolate brownies:
- Medjool dates -I love using medjool dates for a whole foods plant based sweetener! They are soft, super sweet, and full of nutrients. Any date variety will work for these brownies, however I strongly recommend using medjool dates, because their soft texture will leave you with moister brownies.
- Raw Almonds - It's important to use raw almonds, and not roasted. Roasted almond will change the flavor and will not blend as well. I always get my raw nuts from Wilderness Poets, because they're organic, affordable, and a smaller business that I love to support! As always, you can use my code: “VEGAN10” for $10 off!
- Cacao Powder - It's also important to use raw cacao powder and not cocoa powder. Cacao is the whole foods form, and therefore contains more fiber, vitamins, and minerals. I always buy my cacao in bulk from Wilderness Poets as well. Again, my code: "VEGAN10" gets you $10 off :).
- Oat Flour - There's no need to buy pre-made oat flour, you can easily make it at home for much cheaper. All you have to do is add rolled or quick oats to a blender and blend until it becomes a flour.
- Ground Flaxseed - Works as a vegan egg replacement. Adding ground flaxseed to baked goods helps to hold them together and improve the texture of the recipe. You have to use ground flaxseed, and not whole, because whole will not absorb the water. You can also use ground chia seeds, however that will slightly effect the flavor.
- Baking Soda - Helps the brownies to bake evenly, and give them a slight rise, but still maintain their fudginess and moistness.
- Salt - No baked good is complete without a pinch of salt! It helps to balance and elevate the flavors of these Mint Chocolate Brownies.
- Plant Based Milk - Any plant based milk will work for these Mint Chocolate Brownies. However I recommend using unsweetened soy. It has a higher fat content and will therefore result in a richer brownie.
- Pure Mint Extract - Make sure you are using pure mint extract, and not imitation to get the real authentic flavors. luckily most grocery stores carry pure mint extract.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - A touch of apple cider vinegar helps to activate the baking soda in this recipe. Any vinegar will work, but I always opt for apple cider in baking, because it is slightly sweeter.
Plant Based Mint Frosting Ingredients:
- Avocados - This plant based mint frosting is especially healthy, because it contains a hidden vegetable! The avocado helps make the frosting rich and creamy, and it adds healthy fats, fiber, and micro nutrients!
- Maple Crystals - I absolutely love using maple crystals in my sweet treats! If you're unfamiliar with maple crystals, they are a whole foods plant based sweetener that comes from maple trees. They're a 1 : 1 substitute for cane sugar, however they have a low glycemic index, and they're full of vitamins and minerals! I get mine fro. (you guessed it) Wilderness Poets "VEGAN10" for $10 off!
- Coconut Milk Powder - Coconut milk powder is just dried coconut milk powder. I find this ingredient especially useful in healthy vegan frosting recipes, because it adds a thickness and creaminess. Coconut milk powder can be a bit tricky to find, so I usually just order in bulk from Wilderness Poets!
- Plant Based Yogurt - I strongly recommend using a coconut milk based vegan yogurt. They are thicker, and have a sweeter taste. I recommend the brands: CocoJune, Sprouts (generic brand), and Harmless Harvest.
- Blue Spirulina Powder (optional) - This is what gives the frosting the perfect mint color. Without it it will be more yellow green. However the smallest bit of blue spirulina creates the ultimate mint green, "NATURALVEGAN15" for 15% off!
- Matcha Green Tea Powder (optional) - Helps to enhance the natural green color of the frosting. "NATURALVEGAN15" for 15% off!
For The Chocolate Ganache:
- Plant Based Milk Chocolate - I recommend using the HU Kitchen Cashew Butter Chocolate. It has a thicker and milky consistency that creates the perfect easy ganache layer.
- Plant Based Milk - Again, I recommend using soy milk. It has a much creamier consistency, and it has a neutral flavor.
How To Make The Best Mint Chocolate Brownies:
Begin by making the brownie layer.
Preheat your oven to 350. If your oat flour is not pre-made, blend the oats into a flour.
Combine raw almonds, medjool dates, plant based milk, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract to a blender and blend until super smooth (about a minute on high).
Add the mixture to a bowl with the remaining brownie remaining ingredients. Pour into a nonstick brownie pan and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove and allow to cool on the counter for 10 minutes. Cover and place in the freezer for 30-40 minutes (or until chilled).
While the brownies are chilling, make the mint frosting layer by combining all ingredients in a blender and blending until smooth. Once smooth place in the freezer.
When you're ready to assemble the brownies, make the ganache. Add chocolate and plant based milk to a double broiler, and melt.
To assemble the Mint Chocolate Brownies, scoop the frosting on top of the brownies and smooth to a flat surface. Pour the ganache over, and spread with a knife. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
What's The Best Way To Store These Mint Chocolate Brownies?
These brownies are a little different than other brownie recipes. They are are not intended to be eaten warm, and the have multiple layers. These layers should not all be kept at room temperature. Therefore I recommend storing these Vegan Mint Chocolate Brownies in the fridge in an air tight container. If stored properly, they will keep for a full week!
Will The Avocado Cause The Frosting To Turn Brown:
Avocado has a tendency (like most fruits) to turn brown once exposed to oxygen. Therefore you may be concerned that the perfect vibrant mint color may change as time goes on. However thanks to the natural plant based food coloring used in this recipe, the color of the frosting stays the same as time goes on!
Related Vegan Brownie Recipes:
- Date Sweetened Brownies
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies
- Eggplant Mesquite Brownies
- Paleo Sweet Potato Brownies
Best Mint Chocolate Brownies
For The Mint Brownies;
For the Frosting:
For the Chocolate Ganache:
- 2 bars plant based dark chocolate of choice
- 3 tablespoon Plant based milk of choice I used coconut
- Begin by making the brownie layer. Preheat your oven to 350. If your oat flour is not pre-made, blend the oats into a flour.
- Combine raw almonds, medjool dates, plant based milk, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract to a blender and blend until super smooth (about a minute on high).
- Add the mixture to a bowl with the remaining brownie remaining ingredients.
- Pour into a nonstick brownie pan and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove and allow to cool on the counter for 10 minutes. Cover and place in the freezer for 30-40 minutes (or until chilled).
- While the brownies are chilling, make the mint frosting layer by combining all ingredients in a blender and blending until smooth. Once smooth place in the freezer.
- When you're ready to assemble the brownies, make the ganache. Add chocolate and plant based milk to a double broiler, and melt.
- To assemble the Mint Chocolate Brownies, scoop the frosting on top of the brownies and smooth to a flat surface. Pour the ganache over, and spread with a knife. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!