I have always been an advent soup lover, even in my pre vegan days. Back then I really only liked broccoli cheddar soup and chili (both of which I have created vegan versions of now). After going vegan the soup world just exploded with options. Now sure, there are plenty of non vegan soups, and this dumpling soup would typically have chicken or something, but I assure you this vegetable dumpling soup is just as delicious without the meat! I have a ton of vegan soup recipes on my blog. If you're interested in more plant based soups, here are some of my favorites:
How to make homemade healthy vegan dumplings:
Can you go wrong with bread in any form? I don't think so. I mean, you can literally throw dough onto soup and end up with perfect dumplings. There are a couple ways you can go about making these dumplings. You can either boil the soup and dumplings to cook them, or you can cook the vegetable soup in a pressure cooker. I did the latter. I used my Ninja Foodi to pressure cook the soup, then switched to the air crisp mode for the last 5-10 minutes to give the dumplings a little crisp!
What makes this vegetable dumpling soup high protein?
This soup is perfect for anyone looking to incorporate more plant based protein into their diet. It may seem obvious this is a high vegan protein meal because of the beans, however they are not the only protein source in this vegetable dumpling soup. The dumplings in this soup are made with whole wheat, which contains lots of protein and fiber! If you're looking to make this dumpling soup gluten-free, then I would suggest using a high protein gluten-free flour!
What makes this soup healthy:
This vegetable dumpling soup is the perfect healthy dinner soup; what makes it so healthy? First and foremost, this soup is loaded with healthy vegetables. My rule of thumb has and will always be the more the merrier when it comes to vegetables! The more vegetables you eat, the less bad stuff you eat. Second, like I said in the previous paragraph, these dumplings are made with whole wheat, which is high in protein and fiber! Last, but not least this recipe is low sodium, which is something I feel like people don't focus on enough. I always use low-sodium, or unsalted vegetable broth when cooking, because added salt is so unnecessary!
Ingredients for this Vegetable Dumpling Soup:
- Russet potatoes
- Navy beans
- Unsalted vegetable broth
- Italian seasoning
- Whole wheat flour
- Nutritional yeast
- Plant based milk
- Baking powder
Vegetable Dumpling Soup
- 1 Pressure Cooker optional
For the Soup:
- 2 russet potatoes
- 3 carrots
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 15.4oz can navy beans
- 4 cups vegetable broth low sodium, or unsalted
- 2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- black pepper
For the Dumplings:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ¾ cup plant based milk of choice
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- Add one cup of vegetable broth and diced onions, minced garlic, chopped carrots, and chopped celery to a pot, or Ninja Foodi on sauté. Cook until carrots begin to soften.
- Chop the potatoes into bite size pieces and add. You may need to add more vegetable broth at this point.
- Once potatoes begin to soften add the remaining soup ingredients.
- Make the dumplings by simply combining all ingredients. Once combined scoop dumplings out and place on top of the soup, covering evenly. Boil soup to cook the dumplings. If using a Ninja Foodi air crisp for 5-10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply